Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Beat matching - JUUUUUST off, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJNo View Post
    Firstly, i never made an argument to NOT record, youve just made that up.

Secondly, if you cant hear your beatmatch in your headphones, then you dont know how to use headphone cues properly. Theres really no other explanation here.

Your claim that you cant really tell whats going on unless you record is ludicrous. How do you think live musicians perform? It sounds like you just need more practice and experience with headphones.

On a loud stage you MUST use headphones to mix if you are actually mixing live and not using sync.
    I use my headphones to get to the mix. After that I disable my headphones. Then you hear it exactly like it is being mixed. I am not saying you can't use headphones, but it does sound different when you actually get to the mix when using them.

I learned to beatmatch in 2002. I learned on generic direct drive turntables, not technics. It wasn't until 5 years later that I got Stanton st8-150s. Mixing on the generic turntables, I had to overcome the fact that they simply did not hold their pitch perfectly.

I am not saying don't use your headphones. I am saying that for the purpose of this thread, which has gone wildly out off the rails pertaining to what the subject matter was to record and listen back.

You have jumped from someone learning to beatmatch to being on a loud stage and having to use your headphones to mix.

My comments were aimed at the thread's purpose - someone learning to beatmatch.
    I don't know how you arrived at your position fighting my advice for disabling the headphones for the actual mix to better determine the different tracks.

Also - record everything. You did not outright say that you shouldn't record, but the insinuation is apparent. If you can tell if it's beat matched in the headphones you know. I am not disputing that. I am just pointing out the fact that when you record your early trials at beatmatching, you will see where you messed up and learn from those mistakes.

Comparing now live bands and musicians into a thread about trying to learn to beatmatch is a pretty big stretch.

You're comment on my experience is childish. You don't know me. If it makes you feel superior, than go ahead, attack me.

Ding dong

FAQ:

#3 - No trolling, non-relevant, disruptive, or inciting posts will be allowed. Any flaming, racist, sexist, religious, homophobic or offensive comments will result in disciplinary action.

Please stop all shenanigans now before I press the lock button and apply time out to anyone acting funny below this very post.

Back on topic.
    Last edited by Manu; 05-20-2017 at 07:37 AM.

I've been mixing in headphones almost 100% of the time for years now. If you are playing on other people's systems you never know what you are going to get so far as monitors... And then during the track I can turn it low and give my ears a rest because it's usually too loud in the venue. I like it.

I do both, but for same reasons as above

Depends on venues, I do one ear most of the time, but full in whenever the sound around me is too loud, so I use the headphones as ear protection as well and can hear fine without having to push the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Applicable View Post
    I use my headphones to get to the mix. After that I disable my headphones. Then you hear it exactly like it is being mixed. I am not saying you can't use headphones, but it does sound different when you actually get to the mix when using them.
    Myself and thousands of other DJs can seem to beatmatch just perfectly in headphones. Your appeal to experience is completely irrelevant when you are making provably false claims.

Well.. there are certain mixers (mostly old school rotaries) where you can only listen to one channel at a time in the headphones.. and then, a few mostly scratch mixers where you can't hear master in your headphones... And then of course you can't mix in headphones. But most mixers for quite a while now let you do both. What I do is, I put just the new track (cue) in headphones.. cue it, then switch to a mix of cue and master in headphone.. beatmatch it.. then flip over to just master in the headphones and mix it like that. Pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Ding dong

Please stop all shenanigans now before I press the lock button and apply time out to anyone acting funny below this very post.

Back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJNo View Post
    Myself and thousands of other DJs can seem to beatmatch just perfectly in headphones. Your appeal to experience is completely irrelevant when you are making provably false claims.

Thread is closed then.

PRO TIP: if it sounds like shoes in a washing machine, you're doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Manu; 05-22-2017 at 03:41 AM.