Thread: PLX 500/ AT LP 120 Platter resonance

PLX 500/ AT LP 120 Platter resonance

Hi folks,

Iīm in the market for a new turntable. Right now I am working with two 1210 and an A&H xone 42 and i want to extend my current setup with a third turntable. Basically it will just be used to add some spoken word parts (old vinyls like speeches, old childrensī tales/fables and stuff like that) or e.g. ambient sounds to my actual mix, which will be played an the technics (mainly minimal and house).
    So (as I see it) there is no need for top of the line specs like really low wow and flutter and stuff. And as i'm not a professional by any means another 1200 is way out of my budget or what i am willing to pay for that kind of gimmick.

So, now i am looking at the audio technica 120, PLX 500 or the Reloop 4000 (used of course!), which basically seam to be the same model (standard OEM turntable?).
    But there is one thing that bothers me: The platter looks really really cheap and light weight. In some youtube videos you can hear that metallic sound, when the dots on the platter are touched to slow it down --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRB1wpQdLMI (at min 6:52), why i expect the platter to have really bad feedback and resonance.
    Then again, all the reviews say itīs an all right turntable and i have seen many people using it. maybe it isnīt that bad?

Do you think a rubber mat under the normal slipmat would dampen that?

Maybe here is someone who is using one of there turntables and could answer my question

You don't touch the dots to alter the speed when you have a slipmat and record on, no need to add a rubber mat because it would defeat the purpose of having a slipmat in the first place. Besides the sound you hear is picked up by the camera mic. It sounds metallic because it's made of metal.

in fact i do touch these dots to slow the record down while beatmatching and i know many people how do it that way.
    I know the platter is made of metal, just like my technics platter but that doesn't make sounds that loud and bright when i touch it (probably because it has a rubber damping on the underside).
    my point actually is, that if it makes such a bright noise by simply sliding your finger over these dots, the platter seems to be really thin and resonant in principle. And therefor i thought about the rubber mat to make it heavier and give it more dampening. Of course there would be to much friction, thatīs why i thought about some kind of sheet between rubber and felt mat (like scratch DJs put newspaper under their slipmats to reduce friction).

Putting newspaper under the rubber mat will decouple it from the platter, which defeats the object. The OEM platter is just as heavy as a Technics platter. I don't think resonance is the issue here.
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    The OEM platter is just as heavy as a Technics platter. I don't think resonance is the issue here.
    No, there are several different oem models. AT 120 is lighter and more resonant than Technics 1200.

@op Get something as Reloop 6000/7000, AT 1240 or Stanton ST 150.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    @op Get something as Reloop 6000/7000, AT 1240 or Stanton ST 150.

thanks stomp! i used to own one of those "super oem" models. they have a heavy and rubber coated platter like my technics do.
    but the "normal" oem models like the plx 500, lp120,... donīt have this rubber coating on the underside. thatīs why i am asking if anyone has experience with a rubber mat, that might imitate that fixed rubber coating.

i know that the reloop 6000 and so on are way better built than the lower class models (i owned a pair of them as i said). but also, they are more expensive and as i am only planning to use the third turntable as a gimmick to play around with (and not for real three-deck-mixing) i just donīt want to spend that amount of money :/

I'm guessing the Reloop 6000 could be found quite cheap in Germany, used, particularly the earlier incarnations, as it had up to 6 (MK6).