Thread: Phrase Matching

Phrase Matching

Hi guys

I recently read a blog which said 'The new track is always started on the first beat of the old one’s 8-bar phrase'

what are others approach on bringing in another track? as I have learnt to bring it in on beat 1 of the first phase for example..

8, 2, 3,4 ONE, 2, 3, 4

gimme your approach/ideas thanks

I hate the counting method. It gets confusing and I think it is a bad way to learn to phrase match.

You should be able to tell when a new phrase starts. This is when you start your mix.

Ride the mix however your method for mixing is. At the beginning of the incoming track's first phrase with "content" you should be all the way into that track and out of the first track.

If done right, you can get some long mixes and everything hits at the same time.

You will be able to get a feel for when a phrase is coming once you have practiced for awhile and you will know when you do it improperly.

I like to use loops quite a bit before a phrase begins or drops to help aline them.

The counting method can get a bit havoc sometimes.

It may well be that at the beginning people tend to count while listening to a track playing in order to get an idea when phrases start/end.

I really believe that listening/mixing to enough music it will become second nature. There are plenty of signals that producers put into a track to signify a new phrase starting.

A crash cymbal at the start of a new phrase is an easy sign that something new has started.

New instruments/elements coming in can also mark the start of a new phrase.

The absence of instruments as well, for example the percussion or kick may momentarily disappear followed by some filtering or a riser...then boom a new phrase again.

These are all ways to make a track DJ friendly so they can follow the track without really having to think about it.

I'm not sure what music you're in to, but when you analyse your music on whatever platform you use, you end up with a waveform. As far as prepwork goes into getting your tracks ready and organised, you can actually see where phrases end/start.

I hope this is of some help
    DJ Forum Trance Champion 2013/2014
    Retired

Just gotta feel it

Practice will make perfect also

Quote Originally Posted by Ramhua09 View Post
    Hi guys

I recently read a blog which said 'The new track is always started on the first beat of the old one’s 8-bar phrase'

what are others approach on bringing in another track? as I have learnt to bring it in on beat 1 of the first phase for example..

8, 2, 3,4 ONE, 2, 3, 4

gimme your approach/ideas thanks
    not always. for a basic introduction, it's safe to start a new track after a 4 or 8 bar phrase; not right on it. so if you were counting it would be: 1, 2, 3, 4, [new track], 2, 3, 4 and so on for an 8 bar phrase as well.

the more you practice, the more you'll start to understand how the phrasing works to the point where it might even be better to start the next track in the middle of a phrase or what have you.
    My Latest Mix : EDC LAS VEGAS 2023 (05/18/2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by maelstrom99 View Post
    wow this guy has mad talent OP you are doing a great job of promoting him, do you get paid in dick or what

using mp3s and software makes this a lot easier. you start lining up the the different sections so that you know when things will drop in and out. it's a lot harder on vinyl/cd where you have to know your tracks inside and out.