Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am creating a mixer to teach me how to beatmatch, what factors should I consider?

I am creating a mixer to teach me how to beatmatch, what factors should I consider?

well....that question is pretty vague, let me clarify..

I am creating a DIY MIDI mixer for a school project. I do not know how to beatmatch and I want to stop having to use the sync button.

So for my project I am going to create a mixer that will be designed "to teach me how to beatmatch". Don't get me wrong...I can learn how to beatmatch on my current mixer but when I get frustrated it's just too easy to click the sync button.

Anyways...Here is what I plan on doing;

1)Designing my board without sync buttons

2)Adding a "Tap" button to each channel

3)Designing the pitch faders to be long for more precision (any recommendations on length?)

4)Using precise rotary encoders for the jogwheels

5)making jogwheels large

6)Implementing a 4-digit display on each channel to display BPM.

5)I am currently searching for a silicon LED button (for cue button) that can be tapped to press down that way I can tap to the beat.

Any recommendations? I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions.

Thanks.

I definitely like the idea.

The only thing that came to mind is that you could consider adding several cue points per channel.

Post a picture once you're done with the project because I'm curious how it will look once finished.

You may want to use these pictures as inspiration.

Pioneer DJM-900

Traktor S4

Roland DJ-808

That's a brilliant idea for a project. You asked about pitch faders, definitely long ones about the same length as technics which after using them for almost 2 decades I still don't know hoe long they are lol
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

That is a great Idea thank you! Also, I like the suggestions you have shown and I will most certainly use them as inspiration. I'll make sure to post the final product when I am finished, I'm so excited!

Haha sounds good I'll look into it

BPM counters used to be pretty common on cheap mixers.

Here's an example of a budget set up from 2011 with a Behringer DJX400 mixer that has two BPM displays.

But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Nicee, I am on the fence about the bpm displays. If I know forsure that I can get bpm info from traktor I may give it a shot. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by belae1ka View Post
    Nicee, I am on the fence about the bpm displays. If I know forsure that I can get bpm info from traktor I may give it a shot. Thanks.
    Using BPM displays is really the same thing as using sync anyway.

Its hard to understand why you need to go to so much trouble to avoid pressing a button. You either want to learn how to beatmatch or you dont, the hardware used is irrelevant.

Pretty good idea ! Hope You'll cope with everything by Yourself ! Can't wait for first effects !

Best regards,

Tomek