Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand Jump-Up..

I don't understand Jump-Up..

It sounds like clown music to me. I always picture a clown car riding around with 50 em in it, blasting Jump-Up. What am I missing here..?

For those that were around when drum and bass kicked off and followed its evolution, it has its place.
    Virtually every DJ was dropping a jump up track or two in their set during '95 / '96.
    Bad Ass, Super Sharp Shooter, Aphrodite or Joker. Every Jungle DJ had one of these 12"s in their collection.
    I will admit, for those that come to it later without the history, it does sound pretty strange stuff.

I cut my teeth on this stuff back in the day, easy breaks to mix.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I'm a big fan of jump up and the vibe I get from fast beats with heavy basslines contrasted against female vocals and abstract instrument patterns. Stuff like the latest Goldie track must sound amazing on a big sound system when that bassline hits and everyones spines tingle. DJ Hype has to be the king of jump up because his sets start intense and just keep going up. Pure rushville.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    For those that were around when drum and bass kicked off and followed its evolution, it has its place.
    Virtually every DJ was dropping a jump up track or two in their set during '95 / '96.
    Bad Ass, Super Sharp Shooter, Aphrodite or Joker. Every Jungle DJ had one of these 12"s in their collection.
    I will admit, for those that come to it later without the history, it does sound pretty strange stuff.

I cut my teeth on this stuff back in the day, easy breaks to mix.
    I see...

I started listening to Drum & Bass around 2010 so yeah, I'm late to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie D Music View Post
    I'm a big fan of jump up and the vibe I get from fast beats with heavy basslines contrasted against female vocals and abstract instrument patterns. Stuff like the latest Goldie track must sound amazing on a big sound system when that bassline hits and everyones spines tingle. DJ Hype has to be the king of jump up because his sets start intense and just keep going up. Pure rushville.
    I just don't get the hype around the style. Other sub-genres of DNB have fast beats and heavy basslines.. but.. the sounds used in the production of jump up sound almost... silly. I'm really not trying to make fun or something.. its just the reaction I get every time I hear the "Wahp Wahp Wahp" sounds of jump up, it legitimately makes me laugh lol.

Though.. that being said, there are a couple tracks that do crank. So I'm not saying all. But a lot of it is hard to take seriously :/

Anyway.. I don't mean to step on any toes. Just trying to understand the interest/taste behind it.

I can stand some of it. Especially stuff from Taxman, Sub Zero, Heist, Annex and T>I. The rest sound the same to me. I do miss the back in the day Bristol jump up from the Full Cycle/Dope Dragon sound. Anyway, just like every other sub genre of DnB it has its place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my country jump up music is this....

QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackest View Post
    Anyway, just like every other sub genre of DnB it has its place.
    Yeah definitely. I just don't "get" it.. but thats fine. Can't argue about taste

Quote Originally Posted by drzinc View Post
    In my country jump up music is this....
    I would rather this than UK jump up

yep, thats what basically every Jump-up track sounds like to me.. thats too funny.

Eatch to their own I guess! More of a liquid Drum and Bass fan myself, getting too old!