Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering dumping my JBL SRX815Ps for JBL VRX932LAPs

Considering dumping my JBL SRX815Ps for JBL VRX932LAPs

So, I really love the sound of the 815s but they are really heavy. I've been getting booked to do a lot of large school dances lately, so I like the idea of the line arrays. I'll be running them with my SRX828SP subs. I found a pair for a killer deal, so I'm thinking about selling my 815s which will end up in about an even trade. This is the configuration that I'm using now:

The 815s hang from the truss which I would replace with the 932s. I would eventually get 2 pair, which would eliminate the need for the sidefills (I'm using a pair of JBL PRX715's set to monitor mode for those).

I'd love to get some of your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rock Diesel View Post
    So, I really love the sound of the 815s
    Have you ever heard a VRX932? I can confidently say you probably won't fall in love with their sound.. especially compared to what you have now, the sound is often described as anything from bright and aggressive to downright harsh and nasty.

I've been getting booked to do a lot of large school dances lately, so I like the idea of the line arrays.
    Technically the VRX932 is not a line array it's a constant curvature array which means it cannot be arranged in a straight line only in an arc, so proper deployment means getting them up high so you can effectively use the vertical arc of coverage to hit the listeners.

All that said I understand your motivations here, purpose built array systems of all types are better designed for multi box deployment than most trapazoid boxes so you should be able to achieve more output and greater coverage with a cleaner look, and "everybody knows" an array looks more Pro, so you can probably up your game and charge more with an array and it may even bring in new customers you hadn't even considered up to this point. I ran a Yorkville Paraline system a couple weeks ago.. 2 PSA1 modules over 1 PSa2s sub per side and it did a great job of filling a gym sized banquet hall from the "end zone" side of the room and sounded quite good too.
    Last edited by conanski; 04-01-2017 at 09:50 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Duplicate
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Have you ever heard a VRX932? I can confidently say you probably won't fall in love with their sound.. especially compared to what you have now, the sound is often described as anything from bright and aggressive to downright harsh and nasty.

Technically the VRX932 is not a line array it's a constant curvature array which means it cannot be arranged in a straight line only in an arc, so proper deployment means getting them up high so you can effectively use the vertical arc of coverage to hit the listeners.

All that said I understand your motivations here, purpose built array systems of all types are better designed for multi box deployment than most trapazoid boxes so you should be able to achieve more output and greater coverage with a cleaner look, and "everybody knows" an array looks more Pro, so you can probably up your game and charge more with an array and it may even bring in new customers you hadn't even considered up to this point. I ran a Yorkville Paraline system a couple weeks ago.. 2 PSA1 modules over 1 PSa2s sub per side and it did a great job of filling a gym sized banquet hall from the "end zone" side of the room and sounded quite good too.
    Excellent points!! So, are the VRXs only really useful when you have multiple boxes tied together?

How are the QSC KLAs?

Excellent points!! So, are the VRXs only really useful when you have multiple boxes tied together?
    No, I have done DJ events with a single Mackie HDA module over a single 18" sub per side, it worked fine and sounded great(sound quality isn't one of Mackies problems) it just looked a little weird with that single skinny box pole mounted sideways. FYI.. You get none of the benefits of a line array with 1 box.. it's just a high tech point source speaker on it's own, and it is more critical that you have the box at the correct height and angled correctly because the vertical dispersion angle of those HF drivers is very narrow.

How are the QSC KLAs?
    Same type of box so everything above applies except nobody complains about their sound quality.

Here is a pic of that Yorkville PSA system I used, top box aimed at the elevated area at the back of the hall, the lower speakers aimed down towards the dance floor. These boxes have dual pole sockets designed for this type of deployment. 2 per side pole mounted is the maximum for all these CCA system, the VRX has the same pole mounting system I believe, any more boxes and it has to be flown.

P.S. I'm not all that blown away with the sound of these PareLine arrays, I mean they don't sound bad and do stay clean sounding at higher SPLs but they don't wow you either, hard to believe it with all those HF drivers but there is no real sparkle on the topend.. maybe I'm just used to titanium compression drivers now and everything else sounds dull.
    Last edited by conanski; 04-02-2017 at 06:02 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks for the great advice! I'm actually considering going with 4 KLA12s instead of the VRXs now. I think that they would sound great with the SRX subs and would double as a good stand alone 12" box

Now depending on your perspective this is a combination of truth, rumor and/or inexperience . Much of what I "Heard" about the VRX932 prior to buying them agreed with the "bright and aggressive to downright harsh and nasty" sound issues.

My real world findings:
    1. "bright and aggressive to downright harsh and nasty" - True - out the box, plug and play, no tuning, they can be harsh especially at loud volume.
    2. The sound quality of the VRX932lap depends solely on the experience of the user or lack there of.
    3. The VRX932lap requires basic eg'ing in the Hi-mid freq range any sound guy worth his salt can complete in 30sec's or less. Once you set it, you can forget it on your processor. I have a DBX driverack pa2 with remote ipad so I can dial it in within seconds if I need to tweak it. (which I always do because I'm a tweak whore )
    4. A properly tuned VRX932lap will equal the sound quality of the QSC/yorkville curve arrays.
    5. A properly tuned VRX932lap will noticeably outperform the QSC/yorkville curve arrays in output.

So in my experience the only con of the VRX932lap is that it requires a driverack while the QSC and yorkville are well tuned out the box.

FYI, if you do small party's with no subs the 815s is the better tool compared to the VRX,QSC, Yorkville options because these arrays are not designed to go low so you may miss the 815s once sold. The VRX,QSC, Yorkville options can be used stand alone but be clear there is a lil trade off with bass.
    Last edited by Paris McBryde; 04-13-2017 at 04:27 PM.
    Tech1200s & 1210 pioneer cdj1000, DDJ-sx2,vci-300, serato itch ssl sdj, rane sl1 57 62, RCF-745's qsc k12 jbl-vrx918sp, JBL-VRX932LAP, DriveRack-PA2, Macbook pro+windows 7, Macbook Air Ipad,benQ-mx620st Projector,JBL-VRXhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAQ0GZu_P8

Quote Originally Posted by Paris McBryde View Post
    Now depending on your perspective this is a combination of truth, rumor and/or inexperience . Much of what I "Heard" about the VRX932 prior to buying them agreed with the "bright and aggressive to downright harsh and nasty" sound issues.

My real world findings:
    1. "bright and aggressive to downright harsh and nasty" - True - out the box, plug and play, no tuning, they can be harsh especially at loud volume.
    2. The sound quality of the VRX932lap depends solely on the experience of the user or lack there of.
    3. The VRX932lap requires basic eg'ing in the Hi-mid freq range any sound guy worth his salt can complete in 30sec's or less. Once you set it, you can forget it on your processor. I have a DBX driverack pa2 with remote ipad so I can dial it in within seconds if I need to tweak it. (which I always do because I'm a tweak whore )
    4. A properly tuned VRX932lap will equal the sound quality of the QSC/yorkville curve arrays.
    5. A properly tuned VRX932lap will noticeably outperform the QSC/yorkville curve arrays in output.

So in my experience the only con of the VRX932lap is that it requires a driverack while the QSC and yorkville are well tuned out the box.

FYI, if you do small party's with no subs the 815s is the better tool compared to the VRX,QSC, Yorkville options because these arrays are not designed to go low so you may miss the 815s once sold. The VRX,QSC, Yorkville options can be used stand alone but be clear there is a lil trade off with bass.
    I was hoping that you would give your input. Great advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Paris McBryde View Post

My real world findings:

What is the SPL of 2 of your VRXs when they're in line array configuration?

This. They will not sound as good as your current boxes, even after EQ. I had the opportunity to work with two per side and I tried to get them sounding nice and "decent" was the best I was able to manage with them.

I have heard the KLA's and liked them, there are several other options out there as well which I personally would want to consider before the VRX.

BTW I happen to have two pairs of KLA Array Frames in excellent condition.. that is, the pieces you need to fly an array of KLA's.
    I got them as part of a deal and have no use for them at the moment. So if you do end up with the KLA's I'll happily sell you a pair of them at a good price.