View Poll Results: Who Wins... Track 1 or Track 2?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Track 1

4 66.67%
  • Track 2

2 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for Techno: Rek Aviles -vs- andymunro

Time for Techno: Rek Aviles -vs- andymunro

Rules:
    * Techno
    * 30 - 35 mins
    * 130bpm (-ish)

Call out thread: Here

Track One:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuh8hi5hs2...k%202.mp3?dl=0

Track Two:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tilb2c3ofi...k%201.mp3?dl=0

Remember to vote AND give feedback for the DJs who made the mixes! Good luck guys!
    Last edited by KLH; 03-30-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Its so good to see a battle on DJF again!

I'm not a massive Techno head and have hardly touched the decks in the last five years so take my feedback with a healthy pinch of salt...

Only had time for Mix 1 tonight but I will be back to comment on mix 2 and vote in the next day or so.
    * Overall very clean and well executed mix
    * First half of the mix got me in the zone and dancing round the kitchen
    * Its personal preference but it really lost me around the 20 min mark with that trancey number, and the next track left me cold too.
    * Any negative comments would be nit picking really, I think there may have been a couple of beats slip ever so slightly out of perfect sync in one of the early transitions before being quickly nudged back into time, and going into that trancey track I would have liked to have heard the transition dragged out a fraction longer to hit the start of the next phrase on the new track.

As an aside one of things I do love about mixing techno, and listening to techno mixes, is the ability to build energy with the transitions and I particularly like a good mixture of longer transitions and creative mixes with short sharp stabs of samples and beats from the next track. Mix 1 definitely had a few good energy building transitions but I'm hoping Mix 2 might be able to push the bar even further.

Just a heads up, the link you have for track one ... links to a file named "track 2".
    And the link for track 2...links to a file called track 1.

Review pending
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Originally when I listened, I was going to go with mix 2 because the trancy track that Fusic mentioned didn't play well on laptop speakers. After listening again on good headphones, it actually sounded awesome.

Both mixes are really good as far as mixing and flow and it really just came down to which tracks I liked more and that was mix 1.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Just a heads up, the link you have for track one ... links to a file named "track 2".
    And the link for track 2...links to a file called track 1.

Review pending
    It's ok. I've renamed the tracks at Dropbox so that there's no direct meaning between Track 1 and Track 2 listing here versus there.

Nice try to read meaning into something that isn't there!

Carry on!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

This was far more difficult than I expected.

I stuck on my headphones and started listening to Track One. I was immediately put off by the heavy beats. The tempo seemed almost too fast for my liking, but then again, I am more of a tech-house than techno person. Technically it sounded well put together, long mixes layered correctly and no clashes of frequencies. Selection wise I can see where it is coming from, but no particular song really stood out to me, but I guess that is the objective. I have spent many nights in sweaty backrooms listening to the harder stuff past 4am back in the day, so this mix sounded, to my ears, like very classic techno. Maybe a little generic, but Techno has its place!

Track two started well and sounded more along more style, with a more modern take on some tracky grooves, but still very techno. A good start, I could get down to this. Mixing was up to scratch, but I guess these sort of tracks mix themselves really. Either way, I have no issue with the technical side again, good work. Then I hit 20 minutes in. I heard trance. Or some elements of trance in a techno track. I'd have to be completely wrecked not to run for the door, if I was at a club. Maybe I just have an aversion to this type of female vocal. Dunno why. I guess it has its place, I'm often guilty of throwing a curveball to the dancefloor myself, just not trance. Shame, cos I prefered the selection on this mix, up to this point. More varied and tracky, the way I like it.

So unable to decide I had to play the mixes far too loud through my home cinema system to see if I missing anything.
    Track 1 sounded much more danceable and not as fast. I could certainly get down. Maybe a sign of some good techno. Either way it was good.
    Sadly my dog sh!t the carpet. Can't blame her too much though, she's old, and the windows were shaking a bit.

Track 2 sounded nice enough. Just had to skip the bit from 20 to 24 minutes. Then it was golden.

Being that both mixes were technically excellent (to be honest I'd expect nothing less with all the benefits of modern technology) I have to vote by selection. I hate doing that, but I guess it counts for something in a DJ battle.

Track 1 is the winnar.

I think my dog is dead, died happy though, probably likes the techno really.

:edit: Is that zombie-fusic in this thread, its like The Walking Dead in here.
    Last edited by pete; 03-30-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Will check this, listening to mix 1 now...

Mix 1: I was a little skeptical on the intro with the straight beats, higher tempo, and heaviness but I quickly got absorbed to the sound. Great mixing and transitions. Enjoyed the track where you hear some lady say some unintelligible words and it was more melodic, I'm a sucker for tracks like that. Ending was pretty simpler but I was in the groove.

Mix 2: Starts techier, sounded good throughout, was nodding my head well at the beginning and the end of the mix. Thought the vocal tune was a good surprise, that's a gamble I know but I personally think it worked here.

I'm voting for mix 1, it felt more continuous and settled in the 30 mins. If the DJs had longer it would be very close I bet mix 2 DJ may win if it was a 45-50 min set. Thank you both for playing, enjoyed!
    Last edited by Delta V; 03-30-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    It's ok. I've renamed the tracks at Dropbox so that there's no direct meaning between Track 1 and Track 2 listing here versus there.
    Ahh that's really confused me. I had spotted the mistake as well but was reviewing based off the filenames. In that case my review yesterday was actually Track 2.

Listened to "Track 1" in the car today:
    * The opening track seemed pretty uninspiring
    * As Pete said very consistent track selection, felt like a Techno purist at the decks.
    * Very competent mixing again

As always its very close and difficult to pick a winner. I don't think I can call it on technical ability as they were both well mixed, or on track selection as neither was entirely to my tastes. My vote goes to Track 2 as I felt (rightly or wrongly) that the transitions added a bit more energy to the proceedings than they did in Track 1.

Don't worry Pete I shall slip back into the ether again now until the battle forum next comes back from the dead.

So's not to add confusion, I vote the Bottom one.

track 1 -

Would have done at least a fade-in at the beginning; inconsequential, however, getting right to it! Great dark creepy vocal techno so far. Great beat matching and transitions, and vibe/energy shifts. Good use of layering later in the mix. Long mixes, heavy EQ work and mixing in key are really the heart of playing techno. Love the last track bringing the vocal samples back in to come full circle. This style is right up my alley, you have great taste in tracks and mix very well. Don't have a bad thing to say about it!

track 2 -

Bit smoother intro here IMO, a nice smooth beat that comes in progressively enough for the ears to adjust. 11m picks up gets my attention, still fairly light compared to track 1's techno. Gets a bit progressive housey around 20mins in. More of a big room vocal prog sound, getting away from straight techno. After that track, getting back into tech sounds, driving bass, minimal melody, glitchy vocals. Good stuff, ending on an upbeat dirty tech vibe.

Overall both mixes were great. I agree with @Delta V in that track 2 seemed like if it had a full hour to progress, the ramping up would be perfect. In this case since we only had 30 mins, I am going to have to go with Track 1 simply for the track selection being what I consider the definition of "Techno" to be. Track 2 had a nice progression but the vibe got offset for me around the 20m mark due to the vocal prog house shift. Track 1 stuck with techno all the way through and had nice energy shifts to keep it interesting.