Thread: One of those neverending questions...

One of those neverending questions...

Okay I have done numerous Google searches before posting here (I know some of the experienced users here will frown on the question like below, it might probably seem noobish) but still I'd really appreciate if you guys could help me finally get clear with my future Dj setup. I'm not a beginner to whole this DJing thing (I started off as a producer first and only now considering to start DJIng). Theoretically I know how each piece of gear works and it's probably the lack of practical aspect that prevents me from answering my question myself.
    The setup I currently plan is an analogue mixer (probably Numark M6 - my budget is restricted), X1 (to be complemented by F1 in future) and KA6 (already bought - yeah, only 2 outputs but might upgrade in future). So my question is - what do I lose if I choose X1 instead of more traditional S2/S4? Ok there are no jog wheels/pitch sliders on X1 but not having them is a deal breaker? Or does it deprive a DJ of that feeling of mixing live? Can't X1 replace S2 to perform beatmatching function (I am not a frequent sync button user .
    Or just forget all the above written and get a used Xone DX? It's still a controller though, not a standalone mixer, but I mean, poor controllers wouldn't cost over 1K, and DX is built pretty sturdily and has XLR outputs. Would the quality and headroom from DX still be better than that of M6+X1, despite being digital vs analogue?
    Thanks all in advance!

Sure, you can control software with a few mapped buttons and knobs, but it really won't feel good for mixing.
    It is a work around.
    A controller with sliders, wheels etc will be much better.

Kinda like, you don't need a keyboard to type, you can just use a mouse with on-screen keyboard.
    But using a keyboard is just feels better for the purpose.

Out of the options you mention the DX seems the best, if you are going down the software route.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Sure, you can control software with a few mapped buttons and knobs, but it really won't feel good for mixing.
    It is a work around.
    A controller with sliders, wheels etc will be much better.

Kinda like, you don't need a keyboard to type, you can just use a mouse with on-screen keyboard.
    But using a keyboard is just feels better for the purpose.

Out of the options you mention the DX seems the best, if you are going down the software route.
    How about the analog feel? Would the quality and headroom from DX still be better than that of M6+X1, despite being digital vs analogue?

As someone who has a room in their house dedicated to racks of vinyl records, I can say that you should not think too much about analog/digital.

You will be playing music that is produced digitally, downloaded digitally and stored digitally.

Analog has its place. If you are playing live chamber music on a 100K$ stereo, with the finest clean vinyl, then by all means go for it.
    If you are playing DJ tracks on DJ equipment through anything other than the finest hifi speakers, then stick to digital.
    Or if you are one of those DJs who says they can hear the difference of vinyl records when played at ear-splitting volume at a rave, then great. You are probably deaf anyway.

Digital is in many ways better than vinyl, especially for DJs. If you read up on it, you will find there are many technical, objective and practical benefits.

The D/A converter in the DX is good enough to bring the best out of your digital tracks.
    finally a mix by me

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    As someone who has a room in their house dedicated to racks of vinyl records, I can say that you should not think too much about analog/digital.

You will be playing music that is produced digitally, downloaded digitally and stored digitally.

Analog has its place. If you are playing live chamber music on a 100K$ stereo, with the finest clean vinyl, then by all means go for it.
    If you are playing DJ tracks on DJ equipment through anything other than the finest hifi speakers, then stick to digital.
    Or if you are one of those DJs who says they can hear the difference of vinyl records when played at ear-splitting volume at a rave, then great. You are probably deaf anyway.

Digital is in many ways better than vinyl, especially for DJs. If you read up on it, you will find there are many technical, objective and practical benefits.

The D/A converter in the DX is good enough to bring the best out of your digital tracks.
    OK I have been reading a lot of forums on the analog+digital topic and more than because of the difference in audio quality, people tend to choose external mixers over dj controllers due tothe fact that nixing externally allows to have more headroom per individual channel, while the audio in software (Traktor in my case) goes through one stereo output. Clipping thus would kick in quicker than with external mixer. I cannot confirm it myself but so far different people of different sources said this same thing. What do you think about it?

If you mix correctly you will never have problems.
    If you learn to use your equipment, you will mix to it's strengths, not mix in a way that sounds clipped or distorted.

I have an amazing technique gained from years or DJing...I look at my levels and make sure they are not clipping or distorting. I also use my ears.
    Genius I tells ya.

However, if you are the type of person who redlines their car all the time and turns up every volume control to the max, because you can. Then you may have problems. With any mixer.

this guy. don't be this guy. or let him near musical equipment.

finally a mix by me