Thread: DIY Internal grounding question

DIY Internal grounding question

I recently broke my ground wire on my Technics 1200s in half but I don't want to change out my RCA cables. What's the correct and safest way to ground this wire? Can i solder it on top of one of the negatives already soldered or desolder one of the negatives, twist together and resolder? Do I really need a soldering pump?

if you know how to solder you can just solder it to one of the ground shields on the RCAs. I usually do the left side.
    But don't listen to me, I don't know anything. I'm just a DJ.

To the left that's already soldered? Or do I have to unsolder then twist them together?

No need to desolder and twist together. Soldering the ground on top of the original screen (shield) wire is fine, as long as you don't inadvertently de-solder the original connection.
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

Ok thx

One thing that always bothered me about the internal grounding mod on Technics or on any turntable really, is that the whole point of a separate ground wire is to keep ground noise currents out of the shield of the RCA cables. Keeping the ground separate has always been thought necessary to manage noise. But it seems that most Technics owners are cool with this mod that should in theory make things worse. So, does it ever happen that people find that they have problems with the mod and need to go back to a separate wire???

I agree in principle, but even in the weird and wonderful world of hifi apparently some arms are grounded via the RCA.
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    One thing that always bothered me about the internal grounding mod on Technics or on any turntable really, is that the whole point of a separate ground wire is to keep ground noise currents out of the shield of the RCA cables. Keeping the ground separate has always been thought necessary to manage noise. But it seems that most Technics owners are cool with this mod that should in theory make things worse. So, does it ever happen that people find that they have problems with the mod and need to go back to a separate wire???
    The rationale for including a separate ground wire was that back in the 1970s, many pieces of audio equipment had isolated case grounds, or even cases that were not fully conductive. There's no way to remove electronic noise other than differential amplification (and even that is limited to common-mode rejection); the separate ground wire was intended to make sure that the phono cartridge pickup would always be grounded, even when used with equipment where the RCA shields were not tied to the case/main ground. Phono cartridge signals are around -42dB (compared to line level -10dB). Due to the logarithmic nature of the dB scale, that translates to a difference in signal magnitude of roughly 500x, which quantifies how much more sensitive to noise a phono-level interconnect is compared to unbalanced line-level.

For many years now, the vastly overwhelming majority of equipment one might connect a turntable to has been built with the chassis ground tied to the whole system, including the RCA shields. In other words, it's basically a non-issue now. The important thing is to make sure that the phono pickup arm is grounded.
    Click here for mixes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Coat View Post
    I once DJ'd to a room of 500 Shoreditch hipsters using only my rigid cock and a empty jar of Marmite