Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fundamentals

Quote Originally Posted by Hygro View Post
    Get good at volume levels. Do this via upfaders.

After you learn to beat/phrase(!!!) match, learn your upfaders! Do all your mixing with your upfaders. Leave your EQ alone (that's for later), keep your crossfader in the middle. Watching Marc.S back in the day smoothly working the upfaders made me a much better DJ.
    Yes. I have my cross fader disabled. I used to use it, but for some reason tried my up faders and liked them better

I'll just add that if you can't suggest a suitable next track to play for a crowd, then don't bother learning all the other skills. Master song selection first.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

hello, yes, flow is very important in my opinion, more important than anything else. By flow, I mean how the tracks sit with each other to create & direct the atmosphere of the set.

also, being a bit of a 'what sample' geek always helps - if you know a lot about the music, it's easy to whip-out the right records to mix in, as a massive amount of tracks are made/inspired/a homage to other vintage tracks or artists
    Last edited by dlove; 05-15-2017 at 01:53 AM.