Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner - Should I go for this deal?

Beginner - Should I go for this deal?

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and would like to start learning. I found a hardly-used DDJ-SX through a friend for sale, $680 for the controller in excellent condition, a pair of Sampson resolv monitor speakers, laptop stand and magma soft case. I know this is a discontinued model, and even then it probably has way more features than I need at this stage since I'm a beginner. Should I still go for the SX or just go for a more basic model that costs less brand new.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Considering it comes with a pair of desk speakers & a case, that's a good price since it's in excellent condition.

Guitar Center is asking $650 for one in excellent condition.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Pioneer/DDJSX.gc

If you ever want to become a mobile DJ, that model is very popular with mobile DJs.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by vb312 View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum and would like to start learning. I found a hardly-used DDJ-SX through a friend for sale, $680 for the controller in excellent condition, a pair of Sampson resolv monitor speakers, laptop stand and magma soft case. I know this is a discontinued model, and even then it probably has way more features than I need at this stage since I'm a beginner. Should I still go for the SX or just go for a more basic model that costs less brand new.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Sounds like a good deal

do you DJ at all? If not, is it possible you may quit in a while? A good starter controller in my opinion is teh ddj-sb2 which is about 250 used.

Yes because of getting the case with it and the monitors, it's a very good deal.
    It really depends upon the exact model of monitor.. the Samson's (which are Sam Ash Music store house brand) are not high end monitors in the least but they do have some nice models in the line which could be great for you, you will need a speaker system of some sort in order to DJ even at home (which is what monitors are for.. they are not for playing out of your house), so if you like the sound of the monitors he's including then that should make the deal well worth it for you.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will go for the SX.

One thing you should check is the matter of software licenses. Any DJ "controller" requires software running on a USB connected computer with software running.. in this case that software would be "Serato DJ". Controllers, when you buy them new, usually include a registration key for (usually a LE (limited edition) version) the needed software. Tho in the old days of Serato the controller WAS the license key.. you could just download and install the software and so long as you had a Serato certified controller plugged in the software (called Serato Itch then) would be like "hey, ok this guy is cool.. he paid for the controller so we run"... But with Serato DJ it does not work like that anymore, at least not with every controller. For example I tried to use my Serato Itch laptop on my friends Serato DJ certified controller (Vestax VCI-400) and it did not work, nor was I able to install and get working Serato DJ on my laptop without paying separately for a license, even though it recongnized my friends controller was connected.

So I suggest making sure with your friend that any necessary license keys are transferred to your name and that everything runs 100% on your own computer before accepting the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    One thing you should check is the matter of software licenses. Any DJ "controller" requires software running on a USB connected computer with software running.. in this case that software would be "Serato DJ". Controllers, when you buy them new, usually include a registration key for (usually a LE (limited edition) version) the needed software. Tho in the old days of Serato the controller WAS the license key.. you could just download and install the software and so long as you had a Serato certified controller plugged in the software (called Serato Itch then) would be like "hey, ok this guy is cool.. he paid for the controller so we run"... But with Serato DJ it does not work like that anymore, at least not with every controller. For example I tried to use my Serato Itch laptop on my friends Serato DJ certified controller (Vestax VCI-400) and it did not work, nor was I able to install and get working Serato DJ on my laptop without paying separately for a license, even though it recongnized my friends controller was connected.

So I suggest making sure with your friend that any necessary license keys are transferred to your name and that everything runs 100% on your own computer before accepting the deal.
    No key or license is required with the Pioner SX because the pioneer controller acts as a the key/dongle. You just download the software from Serato down load the drivers from Pioneer and you are good to go.

https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/...vate-Serato-DJ

Activation is only necessary for Serato DJ Intro controllers looking to upgrade to Serato DJ. Other supported Serato DJ controllers will not need activation as they have been natively designed to work with Serato DJ and do not require a licence. To see a full list of supported Serato DJ Controllers click on the VIEW COMPATIBLE DEVICES button inside Serato DJ, or check out the Serato DJ Hardware page to see a complete list of supported controllers.
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Thanks Unknown DJ! Here I was thinking that I would most likely have to pay $99 and buy the full version of Serato; knowing that the license is tied to the hardware makes the deal even sweeter!

Quote Originally Posted by vb312 View Post
    Thanks Unknown DJ! Here I was thinking that I would most likely have to pay $99 and buy the full version of Serato; knowing that the license is tied to the hardware makes the deal even sweeter!
    When you unzip the Serato DJ file the controller has to be turned on & hooked up to your computer. If not, the file won't unzip for you.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.