View Poll Results: Who Wins... Track ABC or Track XYZ?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • TRACK ABC

3 75.00%
  • TRACK XYZ

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOUND CLASH BATTLE: DJ Riddims vs MonkeyStyle (Reggae)

SOUND CLASH BATTLE: DJ Riddims vs MonkeyStyle (Reggae)

IT'S A SOUND CLASH BATTLE!

Rules:
    Genre - Reggae/Dancehall
    Rules - Open format, can use samples
    Length - 20-25 minutes

Contestants: DJ Riddims vs MonkeyStyle!

Track ABC

Track XYZ

Good luck!!!

Voters, remember to vote and post comments and feedback!
    Last edited by KLH; 04-24-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I haven't listened to reggae in years but when I do hear it being played I still hear some of the classics from the late 90s.

Got my name wrong, lol. Lets get those votes in
    twitter - @DJRiddim_
    facebook - https://www.facebook.com/DJRiddims?ref=hl
    youtube.com/vibes4321

^ What chu talking about, Willis?
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Lol, thanks man.
    twitter - @DJRiddim_
    facebook - https://www.facebook.com/DJRiddims?ref=hl
    youtube.com/vibes4321

This was a tough one for me to judge as I don't listen to reggae that often... but I do like it! I was seriously interested in how DJs would make these harmonically complex tracks blend well! It's a challenge I think.

Track Selection
    Both ABC and XYZ brought the tracks. I enjoyed all of them! There are some serious grooves going on and I found myself head-bopping and foot tapping throughout both mixes, so I don't see this as a differentiator.

Mixing
    This is where I found a serious difference between the two. Reggae is too harmonically rich and too laden with vocals to rely on simple A<->B mixing as most - like Track XYZ - would try. It just doesn't consistently work well across multiple tracks. The vocalists/MCs just don't shut up enough to let tracks transition painlessly... So DJs need to bring extra skills to the table to make these tracks not trip over themselves.

If you can't rely on beat-matching and blending for transitions, how are you supposed to do it? Creativity. Check this out. I heard several interesting attempts:

* The straight blend and damn it if the vocals bleed and clash
    * The backspin
    * A sample or extra track with talking that "bridges" tracks
    * Echo out of outgoing track
    * Cutting off one track and instantly starting another (This was my least favorite transition)

I felt for the DJs on this because it was so hard to transition. Still, I thought that ABC did it better. Said differently, the cut on XYZ (at 10:15) jarred me so hard I actually thought that my computer had a broken stream! Did my computer break? Nope. It was the mix. WTF happened???

Intangibles
    I really enjoyed the creativity of having a transition being someone just talking. That was new for me. While I wouldn't use that often, I see how it can work. Great idea. I may use it.

End result
    I voted for ABC... largely because of that one jarring transition in XYZ. I hope we figure out what happened there.
    -KLH

Sweet, I'll check this out soon and will edit with an update!

Yes djforums massive, let's gets some votes in on this!

I honestley had these on last night while I was working so I didn't pay attention enough to either of them to vote, so I need to listen to them again tonight to vote. I know I'm going to find it hard because it's not a style I love or really know anything about. I did pick up that the mixing techniques and tune selections are way out of my comfort zone to be passing judgement on lol
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

posting my vote soon.

KLH - small request, could you name the files the same way you have them in the post. I usually downlaod to listen throughout the week and it'll be easier to know which file I need to add my vote to. It's not too diffcult to sort out which is which but it is an extra step. Thanks