Thread: Insight into modular DJ setups

Insight into modular DJ setups

Hey guys

Could someone explain a bit more detailed about modular DJ setups? Particularly what I'm interested to know is:

- what is the benefit of modular setup over a standard 4 channel DJ controller?
    - what is the role of external mixer in the setup? Should it be a 2 or 4 channel mixer?
    - what setup can you recommend? I'm just starting to DJ but I want to invest into something which would also serve my needs when I become more advanced. For now I only have KA6 interface.
    - Behringer, NI, Akai and Novation controllers all can be used as parts of modular setups, right? What is it that I need to consider before choosing a brand?

Thanks!

It all boils down to eliminating single points of failure. If a setup is modular - meaning that components have a specific function - it's usually easier to replace the malfunctioning gear without severely impacting the ability to continue the performance.

For example, (without a backup sound source) when a controller/DJ app fails, all sound stops until the DJ app AND controller works again. If a reboot is required, this can result in a 3 minute recovery time assuming that rebooting solves the problem.

With a modular setup (usually two sound sources and a mixer), if a sound source fails then replacing it can happen invisibility as the other sound source can be used. Yes, the mixer going down will result in a loss in sound... but hardware mixer failures are very rare.

How can someone realistically address having no single point of failure with reasonable cost? That's the trick. Controllers are cheaper than other sound sources like two CDJs or TTs. Is it cheaper to have a DVS setup with extra sound sources or having multiple controllers? That's up to each DJ to determine.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Yes, the mixer going down will result in a loss in sound... but hardware mixer failures are very rare.
    This could be (sort of easily) prevented by adding a bypass circuit to the mixer with passive volume control..

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    It all boils down to eliminating single points of failure. If a setup is modular - meaning that components have a specific function - it's usually easier to replace the malfunctioning gear without severely impacting the ability to continue the performance.

For example, (without a backup sound source) when a controller/DJ app fails, all sound stops until the DJ app AND controller works again. If a reboot is required, this can result in a 3 minute recovery time assuming that rebooting solves the problem.

With a modular setup (usually two sound sources and a mixer), if a sound source fails then replacing it can happen invisibility as the other sound source can be used. Yes, the mixer going down will result in a loss in sound... but hardware mixer failures are very rare.

How can someone realistically address having no single point of failure with reasonable cost? That's the trick. Controllers are cheaper than other sound sources like two CDJs or TTs. Is it cheaper to have a DVS setup with extra sound sources or having multiple controllers? That's up to each DJ to determine.
    That's interesting, didn't think of this advantage. How about some more info in regards to my other questions ?