Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Club - Owner looking for Advice

New Club - Owner looking for Advice

Hi Everyone,

I'm the owner of a new club in Northern Virginia. The club is an under 21 club setup to provide a location where teens can get off the street, socialize, play competition video games (we're having 6 multi player gaming stations), dine and dance. We have been been working on this for over a year and hope to be open by end of May. The location will be high end, upscale Vegas style nightclub. Were adding high tech security, full body scanners, Hi Tech lighting, JBL Sound, large raised stage for Live Bands, DJ booth and large dance floor, (15) 65" big screen TV's and A/V system for projecting the dance area and stage to the TV's.

Where I need help is in the DJ area. We have spec'ed out the DJ booth to accommodate both lighting/Sound mixer and a DJ. What we think we are looking for is a young DJ who would like to work full time at our location, learn and use our equipment and grow with the club. Since this is an under 21 club, we think a younger teen would be ideal but not necessary. So .... I'm having a difficult time figuring out where to post for this or how to interview and choose the appropriate candidates.... or am I going about this all wrong? Hours of operation winter (Thur, Fri, Sat), Summer (Mon-Sat) 7:00 PM until 1:00 AM.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone and sorry about the long post.

Equipment list below:

Sound
    Behringer X32
    Whirlwind Cables & Snakes
    JBL SRX828SP Dual 18" Subs (4)
    JBL SRX835P 15" 3-way (4)
    JBL PRX815W 15" (6)
    HP Laptop & iPad

DJ
    Pioneer DJ DDJ-RZ 4-deck rekordbox (1 Unit)
    Pioneer DJ CDJ-2000NXS2 (2 Units)
    HP Laptop & iPad

Lighting
    Chauvet DJ Intimadator Wave IRC 5 Spot Moving (6 Units)
    Chauvet DJ Spot 255 Moving Intimidator (4 Units)
    Chauvet DJ Spot 155 Moving Intimidator (4 Units)
    Chauvet DJ 6 Spot RGBW Bar (4 Units)
    Chauvet DJ Shocker I90 LED White Strobs (8 Units)
    American DJ Mega Par Profile Plus LED Pars (16 Units)
    Chauvet Scorpion Storm DMX Laser (2 Units)
    Chauvet Hurricane Haze 4D (2 Units)
    Chauvet DJ Xpress 512 Plus 512-Ch USB DMX Controller
    Chauvet DJ DJ Xpress - IR Remote
    HP Laptop & iPad

Club Eclipse

WOW I would have loved to come across a potential opportunity like this when I was 16. (dream come true)
    Hope everthing works out for everyone involved!

Have you tried all the usual methods of recruiting DJs?
    I'm thinking like checking out the competition, posting adverts locally, or via the internet.

I'm sure there is a lot of talent that would be interested in this kind of venture.

As for what to look for, you are running a business. So short term cash flow is the most important, moving towards long term strategy.

But haven't you already planned this before you spent your money?
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Thats for the replies.

We planned out the business concept, equipment, layout, business plans and budgets to basically cover the business side. Originally we were thinking of just hiring DJ's and local bands, but the more we thought of it the more it sounded like a good opportunity to bring in a young person looking for a chance and opportunity for a career. Were still going to have live bands, battle of the bands for local youths, Karaoke, talent nights and host parties and events, just seemed to make sense to give a young person a break and possible start.

Since we are business men, not DJ's we really don't know where to look/post or possible forums that could help. We did post locally via internet and local papers but all we keep getting are part time Wedding DJ's sending us their business cards. Thanks again

Eclipse

I'd check with your local community colleges. The one closest to me has classes in music production, and there's usually a few budding DJs in there - doing student dances if nothing else.

I think you're going to want to bump your DJ age up from young teen to late teen/early 20s - especially with your hours.

You're going to have to make some format decisions. Are you looking for high school clean mixes or real club music? How much hip-hop? I'd suggest you get someone who really knows the business to evaluate your potential candidates.
    Last edited by b.ill; 02-05-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Long term, to maintain energy and interest, you should probably book frequent or regular guest DJs rather than always have the same one. If you have a good resident DJ, he could help coordinate programming and would have local networks to draw from. My crew operates a weekly Wednesday adult party in NOVA. If you'd like to talk about staffing, programming or equipment, drop by one Wednesday night and ask for Al, Matt or LJ. Info on the Transit party is at the bottom of this message (3rd link).

Open deck competitions are usually a good way of getting new Djs. It'll give you an idea of how well they can play in a live environment, you get to see how the crowd reacts to them, and above all it will be a fun event.

Waterbeat mentioned our crew who has been throwing parties every Wednesday for 14 years. We are always happy to help.

I would be happy to schedule a time to meet in person. I am well connected across DMV and happen to know of a few really talented DJ's under the age of 21. I joke with people that I have more music industry knowledge bouncing around inside my head than one person probably should have. That being said, I'm sure I can be quite helpful. Shoot me an email directly: info@ljmtx.com

Wow, thanks Guys, I would be happy to meet and discuss our club, venues, equipment and pick your brains on ideas to keep it exciting and to get off on the right foot. I will shoot you all an email and try to setup a date and time when we all can meet. Id like to come check out your Wednesday parties as well. Look for an email coming later tonight. Thanks again everyone.

Mark @ Club Eclipse

My advice would be to find some one old and educated to take control of that side for you BUT, he would organise the young DJ's not do it himself. Letting the teens loose on that equipment with out guidance could turn into a nightmare.