Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enclosed Trailers

Enclosed Trailers

Hello everyone.

So I've outgrown my tiny, cheap trailer and I am considering finding something nice with a ramp gate. So two questions really:
    1) Any advise on type of trailer, setting up shelves/hooks on the inside to store lighting gear etc.?
    2) Advise on securing the trailer for theft. I use puck locks for the door currently and my trailer looks really beat up on the outside so I'm pretty sure people just think I'm hauling lawn equipment or something. With a nice trailer I worry about the attention and it getting stolen or broken into.

Thank.

Most people use E Track to secure speakers etc. I do some metal working so I took some 2" angle iron & cut it into 6" lengths, drilled three holes in each side, anchored it to the wall with screws on one side & used the holes on the other side to hook straps &/or bungy cords etc into for speakers, dolly etc.

For shelving, I used 1 X 12 boards & heavy triangle wall mounts about every 15" to set my amps & mixers on. The mounts shown in the pic didnt hold up, so I now use the heavy duty triangle mounts.

For my lighting that stays mounted on "T" bars, I used this hook

I use a long shank pad lock to run through the tongue lock to secure it. Obviously nothing is fool proof but I just lock the tongue & keep it parked in my drive way.

This is an old pic right after I got the trailer. Its gained more equipment over the years. You'll notice that I have all my electronics on the shelves sitting on blankets to absorb shock from bouncing down our lovely highways. The Peavey SP4's are sitting on foam pillows to keep shock down for them as well.

DSCN3430.jpg
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I have a 6x12 v nose I got for photography and put a set of drawers and 'counter' in the vnose, then lined both sides with e-track. For gigs I just put the subs on the floor on their sides (they have casters) and they stay put. same for my cases of gear and lighting. My main setup is on a 4' long cosco dolly and it goes in and is strapped to the side wall. roll in, roll out. the stands and such also sit on the floor, bracing the other stuff from sliding around.

if it was a dedicated trailer I'd probably put in some shelving of some kind to get more room up off the floor (as it is I have that,but it's full of photo stuff for sports league photography).

I don't live anyplace anyone will steal anything, so can't help you there. Can you buy a 'boot' like they use for unpaid parking tickets?

One thing my trailer lacks that with photo isn't an issue but sucks with DJ as most things are on wheels, is i don't have the 'flap' that covers the door/floor gap (i put a 2x3 in there) and I don't have the one at the back where the door hits the ground.

A minor annoyance is lack of lighting in side the trailer (it has a light but the truck has to be running for it to work) at night.

A major annoyance - and I"m open to ideas - is backing up at night. Most venues won't let me leave the rig at the load in/out door, so at 11pm i'm trying to back up in the dark someplace i've never been and I don't like it. Tempted to buy a van or truck but can't justify the extra cost of insurance and such for the few gigs a year I need 'all' the gear, well, more than fits in my SUV (which is 3 years old with 43k miles..so i'm not ready to upgrade)

Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
    A minor annoyance is lack of lighting in side the trailer (it has a light but the truck has to be running for it to work) at night.

A major annoyance - and I"m open to ideas - is backing up at night. Most venues won't let me leave the rig at the load in/out door, so at 11pm i'm trying to back up in the dark someplace i've never been and I don't like it. Tempted to buy a van or truck but can't justify the extra cost of insurance and such for the few gigs a year I need 'all' the gear, well, more than fits in my SUV (which is 3 years old with 43k miles..so i'm not ready to upgrade)
    The only thing I can come up with at the moment is to run a hot wire to the rear of the vehicle to the pig tail & just tape the hot/extra wire to the pig tail. Then run a wire from the pig tail on the trailer to the light switch in the trailer. Then take both ends at the pigtail & put a quick connect on the end of each wire at the pig tail. At that point, you'll have a hot wire from the truck to the light switch inside the trailer.

As you connect the pig tail at the truck & trailer, just connect the extra hot wire together. Again, just tape each end of the hots to the pig tail for convenience & connect those at the same time you connect the pig tail. In essence you'll have two pig tails taped together. One with 4 wires, one with one wire.

Then run a hot from the light switch to the rear of the trailer with a switch along the line somewhere at your choosing for convenience & mount a 12 v LED light(s) at the rear of the trailer somewhere. Before backing up, just flip on that 2nd switch to the LED(s).... back up light(s). When you get to the load out door, just walk by & flip the switch off.

I had the same issue with my trailer. I took it to a mechanic friend and he installed a battery system similar to what you find in a camper. I installed several small 12v LED puck lights down the center of the trailer and also 2 exterior LED spots (1 rear and 1 side door). Added a switch and I've had 0 issues backing up or seeing in the dark. If I'm in a tight spot I'll have my DJ assist me backing up. Only downside is I have to charge the battery as it's not connected to my trucks wiring. But the battery seems to last about 9 months before needing charged.
    A.W. Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by djjosex View Post
    Hello everyone.

So I've outgrown my tiny, cheap trailer and I am considering finding something nice with a ramp gate. So two questions really:
    1) Any advise on type of trailer, setting up shelves/hooks on the inside to store lighting gear etc.?
    2) Advise on securing the trailer for theft. I use puck locks for the door currently and my trailer looks really beat up on the outside so I'm pretty sure people just think I'm hauling lawn equipment or something. With a nice trailer I worry about the attention and it getting stolen or broken into.

Thank.
    What size trailer are you looking for?

I'm looking for a 6x10 or 6x12 with a ramp door. That setup looks nice Dix, I'll have to pack everything a little tighter but I'm definitely digging that hanger for your lights. Back up cameras aren't that hard to install, I added one to my Airstream and backing up is super easy now. Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I'm also pretty handy with steel and wood so in keeping with the DIY trailer look I'm considering saving the $ and buying an open trailer and converting it myself. I think this might give me some more options to customize too.
    Last edited by djjosex; 02-13-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Just FYI, if you'll notice my tables on the right side leaning against the wall, in this 6X10 trailer, the 6' tables, fit perfectly right there between the ramp door in the back & the small side door. What I did was put the tables against the wall & screw a 2"X2"X4' wood board/strip/piece right up against it & screwed it down to the floor & one an inch or so above the tables on the wall. That 2X2 piece fits the lip on the bottom of the table (between the edge & the metal frame work underneath), then took 4 small eyelets & screwed two into the 2X2 on the floor & two in the 2X2 on wall. Then hook bungy straps in the eyelets. Since there is little weight, even on three tables, because its sitting on the floor leaning against the wall, the bungy straps are just to keep the tables from falling over on the floor, you can use small eyelets & straps. once you do this, you can open the ramp door & just slide out which ever table you need, then just slide it right back in at the end of the night. That 2X2X4' wood strip just keeps everything in place & makes it easy to slide the tables in & out behind it. I have 3 tables in there now. Two 6' & one 4'.

You can put shelves on the right side above the tables if you need to.

I have Thule all aluminum, it is nice and light weight!

Mines 5x12. I ordered it new. Etrack at 18" and 42" centres. I park my loaded trailer in my garage.

Last edited by robare99; 03-03-2017 at 12:48 PM.