Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does it take to mix Drum and Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Breakbeat Exercise 1
    Hells yeah... and Future Perfect was a classic mix, that one got played to hell and back. The Antidote was cool too... I think that was his last mix cd release though, in 2004. Which was 8 years ago. Time flies...
    i stole your sweetroll.

I don't know what anyone's opinions are on long mixes, i.e. 2 minutes plus with DnB, but that's how I tend to mix house & techno, so began to do it with the old drum & bass records I have.

I find it really hard to keep to the long mix style, because there are so many drums going on its much easier for things to clash. I use vinyl too, so with the drifts those clashes can appear extremel quickly.

Might try adjusting my style with DnB to quicker mixing; not sure I can recall to many DnB djs using the long mix style either, they mostly seem to chop and change really quickly, not really keping the blend going on for too long.
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

I mainly do long mixes and don't think there are clashes in my mixes. It just really depends on what the tunes you are mixing though.

Yeah, guess you're right, its about tune selection. You have to keep it real tight though eh? Th slightest drift and the drums start to clash; thats my problem though, I have to learn to mix better!
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

Youre right, with so many hi hats going on it can be quite obvious when they start drifting, but that just makes it easier to hear whats going wrong eh!
    My personal preference is long mixing, as long as I can make it. Sometimes I'll have 2 decks going for the entirity of both songs, bringing in and out the separate elements of the tunes. Then bring in the 3rd deck for a bassline switchover when the first tune is coming to a close.

Switching tunes underneath an acapella or strong vocal is a nice technique too, people dont know whats hit them, they just know they like it!

Once you start getting the hang of 3 decks though, a single tune on its own generally doesnt have enough weight. The added percussion from the second tune really amps the energy.

3 decks is really the only way to go after a while. 2 gets really boring.

I mean it just really depends honestly. You don't need to play on 3 decks to kill it. I mean personally I love playing on 3 decks because its fun.

I can enjoy a Andy C/Friction/Dj Hype/Crissy Criss set and at the same time enjoy a set w/ bangin tunes minus the double drops and teases.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackest View Post
    I mean it just really depends honestly. You don't need to play on 3 decks to kill it. I mean personally I love playing on 3 decks because its fun.

I can enjoy a Andy C/Friction/Dj Hype/Crissy Criss set and at the same time enjoy a set w/ bangin tunes minus the double drops and teases.
    I meant more that 3 decks is the only way to go with mixing after a while because it's just so much more fun that way. Before I added a 3rd turntable I would be standing there with 2 tracks mixing thinking "oh I know what I could be mixing right now if I had another deck to use".
    Last edited by Dantron; 04-15-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
    I meant more than 3 decks is the only way to go with mixing after a while because it's just so much more fun that way.
    Or you could just buy more records like the rest of us do

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Or you could just buy more records like the rest of us do
    Huh? How does buying more records allow me to mix 3 of them at once on two turntables?