Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does it take to mix Drum and Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Adzy View Post
    ditto that! listen to andy c mixes, that guy can be nuts. but listening to various djs is great for getting ideas of how to put tracks together.
    My advice would be please don't listen to andy c mixes intensely. Too many DJ's in the scene try and copy him and it's so boring! Felt I should point this out to you before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
    I have mixed some dnb before, it seems that a lot of drum and bass has huge intros and outros which is annoying. I tend to skip right to the music and avoid the intro/outro mixing.
    Iknow of hardly any dnb that behaves this way. Unless you mean atmospheric stuff, but this is a tiny percentage of the dnb genre.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackest View Post
    With just about every genre of EDM, it is important to mix in key. Some people do it and some don't. Personally, I don't use any type of mixing in key program or diagram or anything like that.

Just learn your tunes and figure out different combinations for each of em.

I have never used a key program or BPM counter in my djing "career". It's just another distraction. Like above says just feel the music and remember how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Porter View Post
    BTW, the dummies thread was very useful.

Dave x
    Glad you found it useful

Surprised everyone has failed to mention that dnb has 16 bars to a phrase, instead of 8. Shame on you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Surprised everyone has failed to mention that dnb has 16 bars to a phrase, instead of 8. Shame on you all!
    House does as well. You CAN mix in after eight measures, but it is going to sound tons better (because it will be phrased properly) if you wait for the actual "turnaround", which generally happens at 16 measures. The eight measures to a phrase thing is a common misconception when it comes to mixing. Carry on.
    Everybody is going to have an opinion.
    Just do your thing to the best of your ability and have fun with it.

[SIGPIC]http://www.ustream.tv/channel/faderwave-radio[/SIGPIC]

I enjoy Andy C mixes a lot myself but I would advise against using him to "figure it out" so to speak. His style is very popular and too many people try to emulate him... it takes a lot of practice to get close to what he does, but at the same time no one really does it like Andy C and it's annoying to hear so many folks trying to be him. Friction is an outstanding DJ as well. State of Mind and Alix Perez are some of my personal favorites based on track selection... their mixing skills are good but they have a different style of mixing from Andy C or Friction.
    i stole your sweetroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Hausgeist View Post
    The eight measures to a phrase thing is a common misconception when it comes to mixing. Carry on.
    I'm with JJ, I've always thought that house had eight bars to the phrase. Will have to have another listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    I enjoy Andy C mixes a lot myself but I would advise against using him to "figure it out" so to speak. His style is very popular and too many people try to emulate him... it takes a lot of practice to get close to what he does, but at the same time no one really does it like Andy C and it's annoying to hear so many folks trying to be him. Friction is an outstanding DJ as well. State of Mind and Alix Perez are some of my personal favorites based on track selection... their mixing skills are good but they have a different style of mixing from Andy C or Friction.
    Agreed on all counts, especially on the plague of bedroom DJs trying to be Andy C.
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

I think it's unrealistic for a beginner to DnB to try to mix like Andy C anyways, because he changes songs every 1 to 2 minutes and that's just challenging to do right, and leagues apart from trance mixing. Now Dieselboy, his blends are long but his timing is on point. Most of my DnB mixing tends to have blends of 3 or 4 phrases between songs, just over a minute long.

I actually take much of my influence in style from Dara... when I was first into dnb, I would listen to his mix cd's on repeat. I mean I really don't try to emulate any dj, but I think I focus a lot more on track selection than technical wizardry because of how well his mixes all flow.

Dieselboy is a really good dj as well, but he plays more hard stuff than I prefer.

Used to loooove POTD tour time. Those dudes all brought it proper.
    i stole your sweetroll.

Dj dp!
    Quote Originally Posted by l0ckd0wn View Post
    Everyone following the $$$$...
    Still Cokewell

And dtr!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by l0ckd0wn View Post
    Everyone following the $$$$...
    Still Cokewell

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    I actually take much of my influence in style from Dara... when I was first into dnb, I would listen to his mix cd's on repeat. I mean I really don't try to emulate any dj, but I think I focus a lot more on track selection than technical wizardry because of how well his mixes all flow.
    Breakbeat Exercise 1

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
    I have mixed some dnb before, it seems that a lot of drum and bass has huge intros and outros which is annoying. I tend to skip right to the music and avoid the intro/outro mixing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post

I know of hardly any dnb that behaves this way. Unless you mean atmospheric stuff, but this is a tiny percentage of the dnb genre.

Yah, I think thats what he meant, the atmospheric stuff. I came across some of this myself when first digging through liquid stuff and found it annoying as well. Wouldn't say I came across one often, but more than enough to notice.