Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting DJing...

Post Starting DJing...

Hello good people... I'm Tomás from Portugal, hope all is well with all of you!

I write music and I'm now interested in starting to DJ. I'm using an Acorn masterkey 49 keyboard and the studio one artist 3 software. I'm used to listen to a lot of jazz and classical music, not so much electronics. I'm interested because of the ideas I'm having and the possibilities electronic music allows. Still I would love if any of you could give me a few clues as to where to start as far as DJing is concerned. All the tutorials I've seen make use of far more sophisticated hardware than that that I have available. Can I start small with what I have and eventually build up from there?

Any tips would be of great use...
    All the best,
    Tom

Hi Tom, welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you'd be more interested in writing and producing your own tracks rather than DJing with the gear you have.
    Last edited by andymunro; 01-26-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Quote Originally Posted by andymunro View Post
    Hi Tom, welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you'd be more interested in writing and producing your own tracks rather than DJing with the gear you have.

Well yes, I do admit that my gear is very limited, but the idea of "flow of musical ideas" and spontaneity are very appealing to me. Considering that I'm very familiar with the nature of improvised music, although not in the realm of electronic music. I'm hoping to learn the skills to transition to electronic music, I find there is a lot to gain in terms of artistic freedom. Hopefully I'll be able to invest in better gear in the future, and by so doing expand my skills.

Thanks for the reply! All the best!

Welcome! So from what I understand, you want to go from being a classical music producer to also being an electronic music producer? And perhaps DJ/mix the tracks you produce?

If you put the writing techniques you learn from classical and jazz into electronic music, you potentially could make some very special tracks.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Quote Originally Posted by Baller95 View Post
    Welcome! So from what I understand, you want to go from being a classical music producer to also being an electronic music producer? And perhaps DJ/mix the tracks you produce?
    Yes. Of all what I'm most familiar and comfortable with at this point is writing music on sheet music editors like Finale. The click came a while back when I wrote a vocal arrangement for the Muddy Waters blue tune Hoochie Coochie Man and decided to import the midi to Cubase and then sing over each line of the arrangement, simply having it as a guide. The only problem I had then was my Cubase beginning to fail because of the amount of audio I eventually accumulated within the project. But that made me think of the possibilities that electronic music allows and eventually, being a bit better equipped,as far as gear is concerned, I decided that it was time to expand a bit and look at electronics more seriously. And take it one step at a time

Also felt it would be nice to know people how work with electronic music, who might have a very different experience in regard to music and hopefully be able to learn and get a few tips.

Thanks for the reply, all the best!
    Tom
    Last edited by TFMusic; 01-27-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andymunro View Post
    If you put the writing techniques you learn from classical and jazz into electronic music, you potentially could make some very special tracks.
    Yes, that's one of the things that interests me, crossing references between genres.

I'm sorry if I seam a bit naive. I find that exposing my intentions, specially when they're at a slightly less tangible state, helps me get a clue as to what may be missing. I think in this circumstances is a fundamental lack of experience about producing, and that that has to come first before I have any ideas about DJing. The process of trying to articulate myself in my last few messages posted kind of made that a bit more clear to me.

Would like to know your thoughts, all the best,
    Tom.
    Last edited by TFMusic; 01-27-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Go to a music supply store (in the US, it would be Guitar Center) and try out some DJ equipment, like some cdj's or turntables. Ask for someone who works there to help explain how the equipment works and what it is used for. Hands-on experimentation will help you decide if you're into it. It's not to learn how to dj, but just test the waters.
    Hope this helps.
    -Dom

Hey Dom, thanks for your reply!

All the best,
    Tom.