Thread: Audio Interface for Live Sound/PA...?

Audio Interface for Live Sound/PA...?

I want to use an audio interface over a traditional analog/digital mixer for my live sound/PA events. Reason why I want to use an audio interface is because I want to use Ableton live for real-time mixing with midi, music/loops and effects.

I was looking at the MOTU AVB line of audio interfaces. Mainly because...MOTU states that these interfaces can be used as "STAND ALONE MIXERS". Also...most of MOTU's interfaces come with built in 'DSP effects' like reverb, eq and compression via their CueMix FX software.

So...

1. By 'stand alone'...Does it mean that I can use this audio interface just like you would a traditional analog/digital mixer for live sound/PA...?

2. Is it 'necessary' that my audio interface have a DSP chip / DSP effects built-in...???

I am under the impression that if you want to mix vocals for a live sound/PA event using an audio interface...Than it would require having DSP effects built into the interface...in order to take 'strain' off of your laptop's cpu. Therefore...it mitigates lag and brings down latency as low as possible.

3. Would it be possible to use an audio interface that has no DSP effects what-so-ever and still achieve 'manageable/ok' latency for a live sound/PA show...?

Of course that is...provided my laptop's cpu is 'strong enough' to handle Ableton's stock/built-in effects and how ever many channels and plugins I am willing to run/operate at the time.

I would rather get the new Apogee Element Interface over the MOTU and use thunderbolt (which is very low latency), running Ableton Live on a Macbook Pro (core i7).

Latency wise for live sound/PA...

I am hoping the Apogee Element/Thunderbolt/Macbook Pro setup will achieve lower if not better latency...VS...the MOTU (DSP)/USB/Macbook Pro setup.
    Last edited by DjBetta; 01-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    "May the beats be with you" ~ ChewBacca ~

The Novation Audiohub was made for performing producers, it has Focusright converters init. It doesn't have built in effects or a mic but it sounds like what your after is a digital mixer that utilises a tablet/laptop to control it.