Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I run P.A. speakers off of?

What can I run P.A. speakers off of?

I eventually want to start djing but for now I want to add some P.A. speakers to my room.I have a pc that I run my old school Yamaha receiver threw to the speakers off of it.I want to use my pc as my sound source so I can listen to music online until I get my cdj.So should I buy a standalone mixer and run everything threw that?or buy a audio interface and run ut threw there?It will be 2 P.A. 12 inch speakers that will be powered, music loud enough for a house party but I want to get the right amount of power to them.

Any good USB audio interface with two stereo channels (4 channels) will work. (One for the headphones & one for the speakers.)

An Audio2DJ would work good, but I don't think they still make them.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

How would I hook up my old speakers with just regular speaker cable output to the audio interface?

I would reconsider using full-size event P.A. speakers in your room and go with some 5" studio monitors or bookshelf speakers that are more affordable. More than enough bass and proper sound quality. Plus, unless you see yourself as a mobile DJ or throwing house parties continuously, you will not really have the need for these speakers and they take up a TON of room.

If you already have these 12" PA's, you will need a proper amplifier to power them, which depends on the wattage that they can handle. That info is either on the back of the PA's themselves, or easily researched online.

You should be able to run audio from your PC via 3.5mm aux cable -> RCA to the back of the amplifier. The majority of amps use XLRs for a balanced signal, but you will find some models that allow a line input via RCA or other port.

Using PA speakers in your bedroom is not a good idea. Unless you already have CD's I wouldn't bother thinking about CDJ's either. They are fast becoming outdated. USB stick or a laptop controller might be a better idea.

I tried out studio monitor speakers but I find they just don't move me.I listen to rap and house and want either P.A. style or old school tower speakers.Actually for the money the 2 P.A. speakers are the same price for high end studio monitors.I don't want low end, looking for middle to high end stuff.something that will last me years.but thanks for the advice I will keeop looking at them, I'm looking krk next week.

Probably a 2.1 system is what would suit you best.
    JBL makes a pretty nice one but it's kind of expensive.

1 x JBL LSR310S subwoofer $400
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/LSR3...o-Subwoofer.gc

2 x JBL LSR305 monitors $300
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/LSR3...dio-Monitor.gc

But there are a lot of other options that are cheaper.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I did some testing nd studio speakers are just loud enough with bass for me.I could add a sub but for the price I'm going with a small p.a. system that gives me room to grow.2 powered 12 inch p.a. speakers I will run off my mixer.I'm definitely getting cdj I love those things and a lot cheapers than turntables, usb stick is horrible advice.Willl practice my beat matching and scrathing.
    Last edited by Downtime_1; 02-03-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtime_1 View Post
    I did some testing nd studio speakers are just loud enough with bass for me.I could add a sub but for the price I'm going with a small p.a. system that gives me room to grow.2 powered 12 inch p.a. speakers I will run off my mixer.I'm definitely getting cdj I love those things and a lot cheapers than turntables, usb stick is horrible advice.Willl practice my beat matching and scrathing.
    USB is great advice getting a controller is even better advice.
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Downtime_1, I like your style. Bass is definitely where the fun is. If you really want great bass, you'll need a subwoofer regardless. Nothing else competes with a sub for bass.

Also, remember that each time you get louder, sound quality usually takes a hit someway somehow.

Studio monitors are for bedroom setups (or small studios) and they focus on sound quality over high volume. When you consider they're for 1-2 people, they do very well.

If you are doing just house parties (<35 people dancing), a home theater setup will work, but it's not ideal. If you do this, disable all effects in the receiver and do plain stereo... with a sub.

The PA route is better and a lot of people start out with either Mackie Thumps or the B52 Matrix 1000. The latter has a sub. Both are basic and can drive crowds of about 75 people on a dance floor.

Above that, the dollars get larger but the SPL gets serious and you can drive bigger crowds on the dancefloor. Need more sound at this point? Buy more speakers...

Now switching gears to sound sources, it's generally your preference. Mixers and Sound Interfaces (even from controllers) typically have great sound quality. Of course, even they're limited to garbage-in garbage-out, so pick your sound sources carefully.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...