Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do DJs start a new track without making us feel a pause after the previous one?

How do DJs start a new track without making us feel a pause after the previous one?

Sometimes they start another track quickly after the drop but there's no pause but some kind of sound which doesn't let us feel if there was a pause. Is there some tool in the instrument for that?

https://youtu.be/xty9P08MpAA

It's called beat mixing or beat matching, have a watch of this video
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Quote Originally Posted by andymunro View Post
    https://youtu.be/xty9P08MpAA

It's called beat mixing or beat matching, have a watch of this video
    Thanks for the reply! But what I want to ask about is not mixing. The previous song is stopped and the new one starts (usually with lyrics). They pause in-between is not kind of awkward. Theres some effect I guess.

That's just starting and stopping tracks at the right time with a bit of a volume fade then. You could put any number of effects on the outgoing track or even the incoming track. There's not really a better explanation I can give than that without writing a dissertation though.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Quote Originally Posted by andymunro View Post
    That's just starting and stopping tracks at the right time with a bit of a volume fade then. You could put any number of effects on the outgoing track or even the incoming track. There's not really a better explanation I can give than that without writing a dissertation though.
    Thats what I wanted to know. Could you please name some effects which could be used in that case?

Start the track at the right time so the swap over points line up on the down beat. If the song is in the same key the flow will still match, not in tempo but in another way.

If you want it to blend even better, especially if cutting the track before it has a place the sound will tail off, flicking the reverb on on the track just ending will tail it into the one starting. I like to add reverb to my break stop effects but this is an abrupt transition that sounds good not a smooth one. I also like to use loop out, this will simply do a 2 beat loop and fade out, you start the next track at the right time, on the beat, or have the transition point be at the down beat, if it has a slight fade in and the tempo is different (but unnoticeable to make a clash in percussion beats etc).

Sometime some mixes can be so smooth it will sound like the song has been started at the end, all depends on how many elements of it are in the intro beats. We'd get drift and phasing with vinyl but PC dj'ing is so accurate the drift won't happen, some mixes, to many people, will be unnoticeable.

Edit: I don't pay attention to key. I do it off feel. And, for the swapping up BPM's i'm talking 3+ hour sets not 1hr. I'd only swap it up in 1hr sets if I was playing Rnb, not dance. I only do 4/5hr sets.

If you want flow, it's all about transition point and the down beat... In all the years of DJ'ing if there's one thing I've learned, sticking to 1 BPM (as much as i love it) to most 'normal' people can be very boring, mixing up the tempos a bit, really helps to get things moving, especially on the slower starting nights. Learning how to do that well, is a lot harder than simple beat matching.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 06-20-2016 at 10:50 AM.

I think you're talking about dropping it on the one, I can't explain about it much but you can see this video, in this video you can see what is beat match and what is dropping it on the one, I mean beat match vs dropping it on the one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z144G6I4bBw
    Hope helped

Downbeat and the one... Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by opportunist86 View Post
    Sometimes they start another track quickly after the drop but there's no pause but some kind of sound which doesn't let us feel if there was a pause. Is there some tool in the instrument for that?
    could be anything! the description is too vague..... i mean, if the DJ drops the new song in time , on beat, the changeover should be pretty seemless, but then he could also play a sample, or use a reverb or delay effect to the out-going song to fill a moment silence , if that's the case then yea, there is a tool for that, most software has effects and samplers built in.

Harmonic Beat mixing / Cutting.