Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Korg Kaoss DJ controller

Questions about Korg Kaoss DJ controller

Hello,

I just got a controller mentioned in the title, is it possible to record music or play from my pc speakers, I plugged one of my microlab speaker but volume was very low, I'm not planning to do any gigs, but it would be nice to record what you do. Of I understand correctly there is a software and then you connect controller to the mic port?

Thanks

The manual is available on the Korg website and is fairly simply laid out.
    I read the manual for you.
    You connect your speakers to the speaker output on the side of your controller.
    You need active speakers (or an amp between the controller and speakers).
    Just turn your master and speakers up and you will then be able to hear the music as loud as your speakers should go.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Intersting unit I've never seen one of them before, doens't look ideal for beginners though, but I like that you can use it as a standalone line input mixer a lot.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Thank you, I think because it's powered by usb I would need amp as mentioned. I know its not the best for beginners but it was on offer and I was looking for something small, not to mention I love the pad with effects.What about recording or running sound via PC? That's my main concern.

I watched this review on it, and it might be useful to you to learn about it, as well as Pete even the reviewer says to read the manual.

It's got serato intro which you just nee to download and install on the pc you plug it into, but the sound will not be played on the pc, you will need to plug it into and amp using the phono conectors on the side to a line in on the amp.

For recording sound, the easiest method would be to pay to upgrade Serato intro to DJ which opens up the full software. However, I'm not sure if the Kaoss effects would be recorded by Serato because they're outside of the software.

Kaoss Pads are mint, and this seems like a very good version of it.
    Last edited by andymunro; 01-11-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Your PC "microlab" speakers will be active (at least I think they are, you have not mentioned what exactly they are...) because they plug into the wall to get power.

If that is the case they you should be able to connect to them via a RCA to 3.5mm jack cable.

There is no logical reason for them not to work.

The controller being powered by USB should not have a major impact on the sound, in fact your controller is designed to work with these sort of things.

Have you connected it up correctly and turned all the right knobs up?
    Last edited by pete; 01-11-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I don't think recording with serato will work because it will not record effects. What about Audacity?
    Yes microlab have power plug however I plugged only speaker using RCA without subwoofer so it only draw power from the controller. Will check again with 3.5 jack, this controller have 6.5mm jack, so I'm waiting for adapter to be delivered. Can I connect it to headphones 6.5 socket wit adapter? or should I get RCA to 3.5mm female

You need this adapter to connect your controller to the subwoofer.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YMR197

You can't use the speakers in this setup without the sub because all the electronics are in the sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Giliador View Post
    Can I connect it to headphones 6.5 socket wit adapter? or should I get RCA to 3.5mm female
    The only thing that will come out the headphone socket is what is cued so that not going to work.

Your going to need splitters at the phono out sockets on the Korg, and then run one set of the outputs to your sub/speaker package, and the other back to the pc, and maybe if your pc has a line in then you could record to audacity. But that's going to depend on your pc spec being up to running both serato and audacity at the same time, and bearing in mind that your hard drive will be writing at the same time as reading, so not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    You need this adapter to connect your controller to the subwoofer.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YMR197

You can't use the speakers in this setup without the sub because all the electronics are in the sub.
    That's exactly what I'm getting and male one for Audacity

Quote Originally Posted by andymunro View Post
    Your going to need splitters at the phono out sockets on the Korg, and then run one set of the outputs to your sub/speaker package, and the other back to the pc, and maybe if your pc has a line in then you could record to audacity. But that's going to depend on your pc spec being up to running both serato and audacity at the same time, and bearing in mind that your hard drive will be writing at the same time as reading, so not ideal.
    I'm using gaming pc with several Hard drives and SSD. I do 3D graphic design on it, should be able to run both, I can always have audacity on faster SSD and serato on HDD or I think it's possible to to use two pc's.