Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i think I'm over spending on "hot item" equipment?

i think I'm over spending on "hot item" equipment?

It's been 5 years since I got back into the DJ (mobile) businesses, after a plus 20 DJ career that's takes me back into the 80's, I've purchased multiple types of "DJ GEAR". Particularly CDJ's (2000's) and Pioneer top line mixers. I recently sold my old 2000 nexuses for the newer "touch screen" models. Although there's not much of a difference I've always wanted the so-called latest greatest gig gear. Now, I'm truly think all this great gear is not equating to profit. I just recently got chosen over an upstart DJ with half the gear I have. In other words he out bidding me. Don't get me wrong I average about a gig a month but of course would like to do better. What I want to do however is scale down my gear to something more affordable but gives me the same results.

My MAIN question....is there a big difference in quality in terms of sound and durability say if I turn my set up into a classic turntable set? Currently this is what I've been using

2 CDJ NEXUS 2's
    DJM 900 nexus
    Rekorbox and sometimes Traktor software.

What I'm thinking about scaling down to is

2 PIONEER 1000 turntables
    1 NI Z2 or equivalent RANE TT
    Traktor or SERATO software.

Financially I could pocket a few bucks or add to my lighting gear.

Thoughts on the different set up. I'm a mobile DJ.

You're asking sound quality as in digital vs digital. Waste of money if I'm honest, plus in terms of durability you'll have to purchase needles once in a while and lose on ease of portability, turntables are heavier than CDJs. You'll also need new flight cases.

I just recently got chosen over an upstart DJ with half the gear I have. In other words he out bidding me
    How much is he, how much are you, how much was the customer willing to pay?

The overwhelming majority of mobile DJs in my market (Phoenix, AZ) use 1200s and Serato, or a pioneer controller ala DDJ-SX, depending on their needs. Rarely will I see or hear of mobile DJs using Nexus 2's. That is quite a lot of expensive stuff to be hauling around and exposing to the elements. I think you are making a fine move for your situation!

The Native Instruments hardware environment is a great one to be in, because their stuff is well-made and modular enough to fit your needs. If you find the features to be lacking on the Z2, you could always add secondary controllers for the remix decks or effects decks. I prefer Traktor over Serato, so that will be down to your personal preference. Personally I think Traktor has a lot more interactivity and control between their software and hardware.

If you aren't making payments on anything, maybe keep the Nexus 2's for your in-home studio usage? If it is a matter of selling the Nexus 2's off to trade down to the TT setup (and add lighting as you mentioned), then that is totally up to you. If you see the benefits there, I say take it. Your vision of moving money and gear around to best fit your needs speaks volumes about your experience

Why not just get a Pioneer DDJ-RZX, DDJ-RZ, DDJ-SZ2, XDJ-RX, DDJ-RX, or DDJ-SX2?
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    You're asking sound quality as in digital vs digital. Waste of money if I'm honest, plus in terms of durability you'll have to purchase needles once in a while and lose on ease of portability, turntables are heavier than CDJs. You'll also need new flight cases.

How much is he, how much are you, how much was the customer willing to pay?
    It was a 5 hour fundraising gig with about 50 guests, and my basic flat rate with just DJ gear, and nothing else is $90 an hour ($450). After a return call the organizer of the event invited me because the event was a community type event, and told me they selected a church member who was looking to do his first gig. I ask the kid what is his rate for something like this and he said they paid him $240 for the event! WTF! I never ask the organizer what they were looking to pay. That said, I understand the business, and most my gigs I book are priced what I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by WestonParish View Post
    The overwhelming majority of mobile DJs in my market (Phoenix, AZ) use 1200s and Serato, or a pioneer controller ala DDJ-SX, depending on their needs. Rarely will I see or hear of mobile DJs using Nexus 2's. That is quite a lot of expensive stuff to be hauling around and exposing to the elements. I think you are making a fine move for your situation!

The Native Instruments hardware environment is a great one to be in, because their stuff is well-made and modular enough to fit your needs. If you find the features to be lacking on the Z2, you could always add secondary controllers for the remix decks or effects decks. I prefer Traktor over Serato, so that will be down to your personal preference. Personally I think Traktor has a lot more interactivity and control between their software and hardware.

If you aren't making payments on anything, maybe keep the Nexus 2's for your in-home studio usage? If it is a matter of selling the Nexus 2's off to trade down to the TT setup (and add lighting as you mentioned), then that is totally up to you. If you see the benefits there, I say take it. Your vision of moving money and gear around to best fit your needs speaks volumes about your experience
    Yes, I think I'm finally waking up after maxing out a few credit cards. I'm gonna sell some of this high priced stuff off and pay off my cards, and rethink my gigging options!!!

I think your new set up is very versatile and cost efficient. As for software, I personally prefer traktor.
    https://soundcloud.com/zsquared-doe/my-name-is-zsquared-official-edm-mix

The first question would be: What do you actually need to do the gigs you get?

I mean.. I went to a kids 1st birthday party the other day.. it was in a restaurant, catered, lots of booze, adults at a big long table, kids at another table with entertainers for them etc. Not super high end but you know what I mean... The DJ (who was pretty decent), had a laptop, an SL1 that he was not using for DVS but just as a sound card.. a pair of headphones, and a single QSC K10 speaker. That's it. And I'm sure he got paid.

Now personally I think he should have had at least a pair of K12's, or K10's and a sub. Because the bass just wasn't there at all.. I didn't feel it met the bare minimum for any gig. But yet I didn't see anyone unsatisfied so far as his ability to select and mix tracks. So yea.. I think you gotta separate what you WANT from what you NEED. It sounds like you WANT a DVS, doesn't sound like you need one.

I'm with Windows 95 on the controller idea, if money is what you're concerned about.

Another way to think about it is investment; is your new gear going to get you the gigs you want? Which in turn will pay off your investment?

Although if it's not a business type investment and more like here-and-there DJ'ing, looking to pay off equipment to pay off equipment probably is harder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally speaking, overspending on equipment has always been a good catalyst to go out there and get more gigs.

Don't worry about young bloods charging less than you, they still have to finish their apprenticeship. For the real money maker gigs (weddings and whatnot) most people would rather pay more for someone with decades of experience. People who just want the cheapest possible option are shit-heels that you don't want to be dealing with.

Hold on to your CDJs, now go out there and hustle!