Thread: Rane TTM56 MIDI Note Fader mod

Rane TTM56 MIDI Note Fader mod

This is what I've been working on over the last few months, pretty happy with the outcome!

This vid is to show it actually works you can get DIY kits to do this mod in your own mixer at the below links.

There was no room for a LCD so I went with the software approach (the inside electronics send signals over USB to our MNF Control Panel software which takes care of the MIDI stuff, scales, and other controls like e.g. transpose). I added a USB out for that, placed the MNF pcb inside, added the rails, scale and reverse button.

The hard part was making space for all that and displacing the upfaders and lowering the LED indicators. With a custom built there is always tons of stuff that you run into along the way, and this was no different.

I wanted it to look the part so I also designed a new faceplate to fit it. First made it from wood, and finally lasercut it into the final design with engraving. The good thing is that the faceplate can now serve as a template for the next mod, who wants one?

More info about MIDI Note Fader and about our products can be found here:

http://shop.skratchamental.com

That's pretty cool.
    Before I clicked on the video I thought it was just a mod that made the 56 a midi mixer.
    I didn't realize it was a mod to put in one of those cross faders that changes the pitch.

I'd be afraid if I did that to mine, I'd get bored with it after a few weeks & regret having modifying my mixer.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

John Beez ain't gonna be too happy. I know I wouldn't be.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    John Beez ain't gonna be too happy. I know I wouldn't be.
    How come?

Quote Originally Posted by Machiel View Post
    How come?
    Because he's the one that invented it.

Fretless Fader 2010 Update from JohnBeez
    2:55
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Because he's the one that invented it.
    Of course I know that and I never claimed I invented the concept... on my website I clearly credit JB for being the inventor of the fretless fader concept.

I started to make my own prototype almost 3,5 years ago because there was no 'product' that you could get - there still isn't. Afterwards I got guys coming up to me asking if I could build them one, or if they can do it themselves. It just grew from there.

I have also made my MNF control panel software (which takes care of most of the controls you need to do this) public to anyone who wants to use it. People have built their own setups and used it successfully. Remember the DMC online video from Brace where he used a modded Vestax 06? He built that rig himself and uses a version of my software to control his turntable.

So no I didn't invent the fretless fader concept but I do take credit for pushing it along and making MIDI Note Fader available for other turntablists, DJs and musicians.

Thx for that Windows, I was going to post that very vid.

Machiel, in your original post you didn't mention recognizing it being John Bees work that you were improvising on. It made it sound like you were claiming to have invented it.

I will say though, good on you for making your own and I'm jealous of your tech skills .

Sorry for coming off brash, it's one of those things I take a little personal.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,