Thread: Jbl vs Yamaha?

Jbl vs Yamaha?

Hello All,

My company is in the market for a major speaker upgrade. We are looking at the following options:

2 x JBL SRX835p and 2 x JBL 828p; Price = $7200
    or
    2 x Yamaha DSR115 and 4 x Yamaha DXS18; Price = $7200

I've been reading several posts on this forum and it seems like the overall consensus on the a JBL SRX835p + JBL SRX828p setup is very good. A couple of the members that have them seem extremely satisfied.

We would primarily be using the speakers for large club parties, community events, and corporate events. I like the how scalable the yamaha system would be and it comes with a great warranty. However, it seems like the JBL system would be able to get much louder and with a better overall sound quality.

I respect the feedback from them members of this forum and would appreciate any recommendations or thoughts on either system.

Thank you!

What are your coverage requirements? The JBL835p's are a 60' horn, the yammies a 90' horn.

If you are only going to run 1 top box/side then the extra coverage of the DSR115 would cover more audience area.
    The 60' horn of the JBL835p is better for narrow rooms or for operators running 2 boxes per side in a splayed configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by phunior View Post
    However, it seems like the JBL system would be able to get much louder and with a better overall sound quality.
    There is nothing in the specs or user reviews to support that statement, published max SPL for these is within 1db of each other... not that either system would ever reach those calculated maximum figures since they're both "1000w" boxes. The Yamaha DSR115 is over 20lbs lighter than the JBL835 and users/owners rave about the sound of both of these systems so overall you have a tough choice here, both systems are very capable and I wouldn't mind having either one of them.
    Last edited by conanski; 01-08-2017 at 08:06 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Another thing to consider is if either of these boxes are available for rent in your area. If you ever need more boxes for an event then the ability to cross rent is always a bonus.

No experience with the JBL's but I have owned the DSR115 since they first came out and its been the perfect speaker for what I use it for. I run it for my bigger events and I've never seen the limit light flash once. I usually run it with a pair of yorkville LS801's and they easy outrun them. I do one event each year with around 900ppl and for that I rent a second pair of 801's and thats right on the limit of how hard I'd want to push the pair but still they keep up to the point the 801's are almost solid flashing limit. I've heard good things about the DXS18 but if your going to be doing any smaller events I would recommend getting lots of a smaller sub. Its not a good day packing around 100 pound plus speakers when you only need half of the size to cover the gig. The same can be said for the DSR115's if your mostly doing smaller events they are a pain to pack around.

Harmans recent sale to Samsung might be a deciding factor here for me. I own JBL and even with no product actual changing, I'm not sure i support the business move. Not even American but selling off such important brand names and science for so cheap can't be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronaoperator View Post
    What are your coverage requirements? The JBL835p's are a 60' horn, the yammies a 90' horn.

If you are only going to run 1 top box/side then the extra coverage of the DSR115 would cover more audience area.
    The 60' horn of the JBL835p is better for narrow rooms or for operators running 2 boxes per side in a splayed configuration.
    That's a very good point and definitely something worth considering. At first we would most likely be using 1 per side. However, I do like the option of being able to run two per side down the road.

That's a very good point and definitely something worth considering. At first we would most likely be using 1 per side. However, I do like the option of being able to run two per side down the road.
    That's the kicker, the DSR's running 2 a side would get into lots of high frequency comb-filtering, the JBL's running 1 per side would have limited coverage. How bad that is for any given situation would depend on your expectations.

I went ahead and purchased the JBL speakers and subwoofers. I think the coverage pattern (possible two 835 per side) and audio architect is what ultimately swayed me.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone! I'll try to post pictures once they come in.

Thank you

I went ahead and purchased the JBL speakers and subwoofers. I think the coverage pattern (possible two 835 per side) and audio architect is what ultimately swayed me.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone! I'll try to post pictures once they come in.

Thank you
    Interesting reading, thank you for posting the question and all the answers are very useful information and consideration.

What is your experience with the JBL's now after 2 years of usage and did you optimize them using the audio architect application?