Thread: Videos of people djing?

Threaded View

Videos of people djing?

Soundcloud and Mixcloud etc are great, as we know. You can go on there and you can listen to music done by people. It's good.

Also, watching a big stage performance like The Chemical Brothers or Coldcut or whatever is great. There's loads of weird equipment and a lightshow and whatever.

Even watching someone do a vinyl set can be quite entertaining.

but I've noticed this rise in people posting up "live" (most of the time) videos of them doing a mix on social media. And it's just them standing there moving their arms slightly and pressing a few buttons. And then, fast forward half an hour and they're still standing there. Moving their arms slightly and pressing a few buttons.

The music's good, but erm.... what exactly am I looking at here? Surely no one wants to see that. Am I missing something? I mean a video of someone playing at a gig is one thing, but a video of someone in their room pressing buttons for two hours? Come on. Just post it on Mixcloud, no one wants to see you actually do it, it's not a visual thing.

And if you're studying it for technique, well they always seem to bung the camera in the top corner of the room, so you can't really see exactly what they're doing anyway. It just looks like they're randomly kind of stroking the equipment and touching it. Reminds me of the Alan Partridge sketch where he's buying a cd player and he keeps just touching it and saying "Nice action"...

It's like posting up a video of a radio dj doing their show. Unless it's Howard Stern or something, surely it's utterly pointless?

Last edited by Puregroove; 01-07-2017 at 03:40 PM.