Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Videos of people djing?

Colione98 - Thanks for taking the time to write that - here are my responses :

Quote Originally Posted by colione98 View Post
    You can't hate the players, hate the system. You can't fault people for using the platforms.
    I don't hate either the players or the system, in general. Perhaps I should have made it more clear - I do actually enjoy a lot of these videos of people dj'ing, however, there is one type that I object to, which is the "camera phone in corner of room, recording mix with camera phone" type. And it only appears to be just someone standing there, stationary, with really bad tinny sound quality.

Many hip hop youtubers record their interviews and subscribers get upset when there is no visual. It can be people simply talking but to them, they want to see expressions. You may not understand it but it is the way we have headed.
    I would consider interviews completely different. The point about the types of videos I'm talking about is, for the most part, there is no expression at all.

This is how social media has conditioned our minds.
    A worrying statement. I don't really participate in social media, but if what you say is true, I find it slightly sinister.

Most people don't have what it takes to put out creative content- THAT IS THE TRUTH. However, FB/IG/Twitter lives allows for simple feeds to pretend as if we are all creative masters.
    Word.

self expression, no matter how displayed, is art.
    Again, worrying, but probably true in today's times. Makes me think of the Young British Artists movement which was years ago now. The art became unimportant. The selling of oneself became the art. It also suggests that I can take a massive dump on the carpet, and call it "art". Well, perhaps some people would?

Here are my last 2 annual winter Point of View mixes. I am due for one this winter. People enjoy the music and the creative themes and images even though I am not really doing much.
    Hey look - the second one I'm not too sure about the video, but the music's good. The first one I really enjoyed both the video and the music. Why? Well that mixer is interesting and all that, but apart from anything else, the sound quality is good. I don't have to watch the video. This video does not sound like you're recording it from 8 feet away with a camera phone mic.

There was one video I saw where the dj had placed the camera next to one of the cd decks, and you could actually hear them moving the platter, shifting around, talking, hitting buttons etc. - this did not do the music any favours.

I wish I could post up an example of the kind of thing I'm talking about but I can't on principle - it would be unfair to them.

I guess what I'm saying is "If you're going to do this, do it at least halfway well". Whereas the kind of thing I've seen recently is anything but. When the video becomes more about looking at the person standing there posing, and less about the music, then we have a problem.

I've noticed on a lot of these videos the knobs on the controllers are getting very hot, or even giving the 'DJ' a small electric shock.
    Perhaps these videos are being posted to get the attention of the manufacturers, seems like a health and safety issue. Are they pre-empting a court battle for an RSI type case, DJ's Twitch, it's the new White Finger.

Quote Originally Posted by wavespeech View Post
    I've noticed on a lot of these videos the knobs on the controllers are getting very hot, or even giving the 'DJ' a small electric shock.
    Perhaps these videos are being posted to get the attention of the manufacturers, seems like a health and safety issue. Are they pre-empting a court battle for an RSI type case, DJ's Twitch, it's the new White Finger.
    HAHAHAHA lol my thoughts exactly.

I feel like a dinosaur nowadays because I just turn knobs in a normal way. I never quite got the hang of the "elbows up so everyone can see I'm turning a knob" technique which came about in 2011, or the "Touching a hot potato so everyone can see I'm turning a knob" technique that closely followed in 2012.

Also, when I turn knobs, usually it makes some kind of audible difference to the sound, maybe very slight, but it's there. I've been informed that this makes me "out of touch" and "not keeping up with the times".

Also, I can't do that stupid zebedee dance either. Guess as a DJ I'm just defunkt

Don't forget to hold your arms in the air (like you just don't care, I always thought this was something the crowd did?!? I'm too old for this), and make symbols or half arsed letters with your fingers, like some kind of palsy riddled illuminati member signalling to the cult. 'Look, look at me, I have crooked rigid fingers due to RSI from all the knob twiddling!'

Twist, down to F, click that's the one.
    Takes so little time, what y'gonna do anyway?

Choose the box, flick flick flick, ahh there's the record, ahh no I have this one, I spotted the sleeve as I was flicking, this one THIS ONE! I can smell it, yes, the other, the flip side, place it on, drop the needle, cue it, bring it in 'AVE IT!
    Takes a little longer.

I love watching a video mix, agreed you do get sometimes the angle isn't great or they are basic mixing at best but I love listened to a mix, thinking what did they just do then? and bam you can have a look.
    Angle needs to be right for this and also some skills being performed.
    I actually wish most mixes were given in video format.