Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Videos of people djing?

Videos of people djing?

Soundcloud and Mixcloud etc are great, as we know. You can go on there and you can listen to music done by people. It's good.

Also, watching a big stage performance like The Chemical Brothers or Coldcut or whatever is great. There's loads of weird equipment and a lightshow and whatever.

Even watching someone do a vinyl set can be quite entertaining.

but I've noticed this rise in people posting up "live" (most of the time) videos of them doing a mix on social media. And it's just them standing there moving their arms slightly and pressing a few buttons. And then, fast forward half an hour and they're still standing there. Moving their arms slightly and pressing a few buttons.

The music's good, but erm.... what exactly am I looking at here? Surely no one wants to see that. Am I missing something? I mean a video of someone playing at a gig is one thing, but a video of someone in their room pressing buttons for two hours? Come on. Just post it on Mixcloud, no one wants to see you actually do it, it's not a visual thing.

And if you're studying it for technique, well they always seem to bung the camera in the top corner of the room, so you can't really see exactly what they're doing anyway. It just looks like they're randomly kind of stroking the equipment and touching it. Reminds me of the Alan Partridge sketch where he's buying a cd player and he keeps just touching it and saying "Nice action"...

It's like posting up a video of a radio dj doing their show. Unless it's Howard Stern or something, surely it's utterly pointless?

Last edited by Puregroove; 01-07-2017 at 03:40 PM.

I hear ya.
    Utterly pointless, unless there's a light show or stage show.

Everyone trying to be a fucking superstar all of a sudden by "videoing" themselves.

http://foo.ca/wp/chick-tract-satire/trance-cracker/

They are no longer online for some reason but there used to be some good videos on youtube of D&BTV mixes by Kenny Ken and SS and the view would switch to a top down view so you could see the mixer clearly and behind the DJ showing them placing records on the decks or inserting CDs in to the CDJs. The SS one is memorable because about 20 minutes in to a blinding masterclass of a mix the sound suddenly messes up and he starts looking at the gear and cabling to see what has gone wrong. I swear it was a prank Because it was well made and top sound quality it was interesting watching them at work but anything less than this is pointless. The worst ones are where it looks like it's being filmed on a crappy phone or single fixed camera and it's blurry with muffled sound. It's like watching a relatives home video at Christmas and not knowing when the torture will end

Yeah I agree. I enjoy watching the pro stuff, you know boiler room mixes and all that and tutorial stuff like Ellaskins etc.

What I am confusd by is all these guys who do their "Weekly internet radio show" and instead of just bunging the mix up, we get to watch and listen to it on camera phone quality, with them just standing there occasionally "touching" the equipment and staring at a screen for two hours. These stupid movements they make as well, as if the rotary controls are really stiff, you know where they raise their elbows up when turning them. And then do this stupid zebedee dance when they're not touching the equipment.

"Facebook Djs" - a new category.

When I had my weekly show on faderwave I would would have my cam focused on my mixer (and a second screen showing Traktor). Thought it was pointless for me to be on cam but a view of the mixer could probably be entertaining. I also had a random GIF playing in the corner of the screen.

And this is nothing new; maybe new on Facebook with their new live stream platform but bedroom DJs have been live streaming for years.

Agreed. I've no interest in looking how messy your bedroom is for 2 hours. A good mix is entertainment in itself.

These are the kind of people who post review videos on you tube which invariably involves one of the following :

1) 10 minutes of unboxing the item. Thanks, I'm pretty sure I know how to take something out of a box.

2) Randomly hitting buttons then telling me what they do despite not actually knowing themselves beforehand what they do.

3) 15 minutes of talking bollocks explaining useless information that most of us skip through. Admittedly this one is more to do with instructional videos. There's one bloke on you tube (bald English man) who spends most of his video talking rather than teaching and by the end you realised you've waste 15 minutes if your life.

I bit of a rant I know but yeah, live videos suck.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dix; 01-08-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Edited for excessive language.

Soundcloud Mixcloud are not interactive and unlike Ustream it's not a social media platform, Youtube Red seem to be heading that way to be more interactive with the listening audiences. FB live is interactive and intended for the general audiences of the presenter followers so I would think the individuals that follow that DJ know what to expect from him or her. Applies to Music Groups as well, FB live is for that intended group, you need to have a FB account to view them and if that person set up their privacy settings correctly you would need to be a FB friend to view it. Now if you are a member of the group or a follower of a FB friend and you have some issue with them going live and post on this forum about them, then that's says a lot about you as a individual by requesting or accepting any friend request then turnaround and critique them negatively in a public forum.
    2 x DENON SC3900 | Now I have 2 AUDIO TECHNICA LP 1240 | Pioneer DJM-3000 ROTARY | DENON ENGINE | Pioneer RMX-1000 | RELOOP STICK HEADPHONE

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    When I had my weekly show on faderwave I would would have my cam focused on my mixer (and a second screen showing Traktor). Thought it was pointless for me to be on cam but a view of the mixer could probably be entertaining. I also had a random GIF playing in the corner of the screen.
    Ah now you see, that is halfway interesting. It's about the music and the equipment and the technique. "Thought it was pointless for me to be on cam" - exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    And this is nothing new; maybe new on Facebook with their new live stream platform but bedroom DJs have been live streaming for years.
    Yeah I've noticed it before on youtube. Thing is, on youtube, if the quality isn't up to much, people tend to raise the issue in the comments, I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by James Martin View Post
    Soundcloud Mixcloud are not interactive and unlike Ustream it's not a social media platform, Youtube Red seem to be heading that way to be more interactive with the listening audiences.
    I'm not seeing much interaction on these. It's a camera set up in the top corner of a room with somebody dj'ing. But little else seems to happen. How is it interactive?

Quote Originally Posted by James Martin View Post
    Now if you are a member of the group or a follower of a FB friend and you have some issue with them going live and post on this forum about them, then that's says a lot about you as a individual by requesting or accepting any friend request then turnaround and critique them negatively in a public forum.
    This isn't the case, as it goes. They were actually public videos. As far as critiquing them, no names are mentioned. It's the concept I'm critiquing rather than highlighting any individuals in particular. Even if it were the case, I don't think it says much about me, aside from the fact that I don't like the concept. Now, if I were posting links to the individuals concerned, that might be a different matter.

When you have a video of someone dj'ing and no access to see the equipment close up, this seems to be an extremely narcissistic endeavour. A video of "me" standing there for two hours. With crappy sound quality.

On the other hand, if it's the type of video that Rek was describing, I quite enjoy those. It might have the person on it, but split screen or something also showing a close up of the equipment. I've been watching those types of things on youtube for years, and they're cool. I like those. And usually they are recorded with a line-in type arrangement so the sound quality is good.

So - something's just clicked. You're saying the sudden trend for this is due to Facebook introducing "Live" fairly recently. Yeah that makes sense.

Made in NYC,Tested Overseas,Bottled in Miami,Sould to Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Puregroove View Post
    On the other hand, if it's the type of video that Rek was describing, I quite enjoy those. It might have the person on it, but split screen or something also showing a close up of the equipment. I've been watching those types of things on youtube for years, and they're cool. I like those. And usually they are recorded with a line-in type arrangement so the sound quality is good.

So - something's just clicked. You're saying the sudden trend for this is due to Facebook introducing "Live" fairly recently. Yeah that makes sense.
    You have to put all of this within an objective perspective. Along with progression of technology comes changes in how we use social media and various platforms. You can't hate the players, hate the system. You can't fault people for using the platforms. Previously, it was considered idiotic to have someone record themselves vlogging when they could have easily recorded their voice. Many big top US radio hosts are now video recording themselves live on air. Everything now is visual. Many hip hop youtubers record their interviews and subscribers get upset when there is no visual. It can be people simply talking but to them, they want to see expressions. You may not understand it but it is the way we have headed. This is how social media has conditioned our minds.

2nd- you are coming from a dj/enthusiast point of view. Only djs/enthusiasts care about camera angle, equipment and technique. Most listeners, who are not djs, enjoy the music and ask for track lists. NOW, I will say that as with anything, it takes creativity and effort in putting video mixes together, in which many bedroom djs do not possess. My own video mixes are that much more compelling because I have a story behind them and use images and video to further enhance my vision. Most people don't have what it takes to put out creative content- THAT IS THE TRUTH. However, FB/IG/Twitter lives allows for simple feeds to pretend as if we are all creative masters. The technology is there so people are using it. People bash sync and pushing buttons but the technology is there and more in-stores in the US are doing away with standalone decks and displaying more controller systems.

The key is to maintain perspective when asking questions as a dj/enthusiast- DJs or those who understand the art see things through a TOTALLY different lens and have higher expectations. The audience is not the artist and self expression, no matter how displayed, is art.

Here are my last 2 annual winter Point of View mixes. I am due for one this winter. People enjoy the music and the creative themes and images even though I am not really doing much.

Dj Coach/Nightclub Consultant
    How to mix deep house: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVfF7vjd_hM
    My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAF...wzOtDqBfpTFNrw