Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Come back after 5 years break! Alone or Duo?

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    hey Guy, first of all, congrats on keeping the faith thru adversity! Great to hear.
    Thank you very much for your kind words!
    Guy Deshaies
    www.soundcloud.com/mononcletiguy
    «Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.»

Quote Originally Posted by ZSquared View Post
    ....Being solo can be good or bad depending on how creative you are as an individual. If you aren't that creative, then having a partner can usually help promote creativity as a whole by feeding off of each other's ideas.
    That is a very good point! Complementarity would be a win win situation!
    Guy Deshaies
    «Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.»

Thanks to everyone for your kind advices... As for the question: Alone or Duo? I think keep it open is the answer! For my very first gig, I was approach by a promoter that knew my style and my personality and he suggested to join in with Jemy Lachance. We've known each others for quite a while and everybody, promoters, DJ's, friends keep saying we should work together. I have to admit, the connection between him and I his very spontanious and easy.

One of you mentionned the complementarity is very important and I agree 100% on that point. Jemy is very creative with his music and is not shy to try and experiment with his music as well as new technology. As for myself, «the hold timer» from the vinyl èra. I am more the rational type of guy... I like complex and multi layer mixing but gee I also enjoy letting a good track play all the way... Good at networking, finding new gigs, branding and marketing...

SO! Last friday was «The Day» I had the most fantastic night in a long time. The event was a huge success even if we were competing with Carl Cox playing about 2 miles away from us. We filled the place Play Montreal. Lots of people showed up and some even came from a 600 kilometers drive to be part of this. I had forgot that nice, warm and rewarding feeling to spin in front of a crowd. Jemy and I had a blast... Overall this was a fantastic way to come back in the booth... It feels like I am back to life... He he he...

Our set is available on my Souncloud account...

Les Vendredis Undr Groov
    Last edited by DjGuyDeshaies; 01-16-2017 at 11:38 PM.
    Guy Deshaies

If your Dj'ing I would say alone, and if your producing I would say Duo. But that's just personal preference. Good Luck on your new journey !!!!!!

I think that You'll have easier job plaing in duo. But IMO I would like to act solo I always want to have control on everything.

Best regards,

Tomek

I have played both single and as a duo.

Whenever my partner started playing crappy records and I'd be like wtf, man. Seriously?

I have to work alone. With a duo it is much harder to create a musical journey that takes the crowd to different levels. You would have to try and be in the same train of thought, have the same mixing style, and a different vision in what to play next.