Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals

Fundamentals

Hi Guys,

What are the essentials when it comes to DJ'ing? like is there anything I should be learning about? I am currently learning to beatmatch, and after I have conquered this I'm going to master EQ'ing. just wondering what else can be learnt to be like the guys at the top

The fundamentals are technique and selection.
    Both are very important and take time to master, same as any art.

Technique can cover among others:
    Beatmatching
    EQ
    FX
    Mixing
    Scratching
    Beat Juggling
    Looping
    Samples
    Equipment maintenance

Selection covers learning about the music and crowd reading. It also covers building a solid collection of tracks, which can take a long time and cost a fortune.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I would add to lear mixing in musical scales (mixing in key). This changed my vision of mixing music. I always thought why all these famous DJ mix tracks and everything harmonically fits - and when I was mixing always something was harmonically wrong. Then I found few articles about "music scales" in DJ mixing technique.

Best Regards,

Tomek

^^^

*thumbs up!*

pete nailed it on the head. Technique and Selection/Knowing your records are KEY to the life of a DJ. Basically, keep listening to music (new and old), practice your blending techniques (fading and/or beat juggling, scratching, looping, samples, etc.), stay open minded to new artists, music styles, and things will happen.

In my opinion, a good DJ should be aware of what sort of emotions and feelings they're bringing to the environment, along with the environment itself. The people/crowd listening to you, the space the people are in or the setting that surrounds them, the music you're playing, the song selection; all of these factors (and more) come into play when you get behind the decks. Understanding these factors can give you the opportunity to create memorable moments for people, and yourself.

At the end of the day, though, you want to be having fun

WOOOOHOO! cheers guys really helped

You guys forgot two very important skills: mugging for the camera, and when to Jesus pose.

Quote Originally Posted by djshire View Post
    You guys forgot two very important skills: mugging for the camera, and when to Jesus pose.
    ...and when to throw cake.

I would say to first focus on beatmatching (as mentioned) and phrase knowledge. That is the core of technical skills you need to master. Forget beat juggling and scratching(unless you are a turntabilist).

Once you can mix 2 records seamlessly in your sleep, you are good to move onto extra things.

Looping is a great technique to use. Not only to prepare for the mix in, you can save yourself from disaster by looping the outgoing track to buy some time while you get ready for the mix.

Then just record everything you mix. I literally mean EVERYTHING. Listen to it, learn from your work - good or bad and progress accordingly.

When ready for a dancefloor, reading the crowd is essential. I know it seems weird to be able to read the crowd on your first couple of gigs, but you just got to feel the energy and see what kind of music they are reacting to. Test them with different styles and see how they do.

Counting beats
    Beatmatching
    Counting Bars
    Phrasing your mix

once you've got those down move on to

EQ'ing during transitions
    Mixing in key
    Working on cuts and drops

then, practice, practice, practice.

Get good at volume levels. Do this via upfaders.

After you learn to beat/phrase(!!!) match, learn your upfaders! Do all your mixing with your upfaders. Leave your EQ alone (that's for later), keep your crossfader in the middle. Watching Marc.S back in the day smoothly working the upfaders made me a much better DJ.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips