Thread: Hello everyone!

Hello everyone!

Hello everyone!

I followed this forums quite a while now, so that's why I registered. My name is Jonas, I'm 25 years old and I'm from Belgium. I've been a "DJ" since 2003: a friend asked me to join him to a DJ Academy and that's were it all began. I found some old gear on the attic, I went to a local store and bought my first vinyls! My parents let me use the garage of the house, so I installed everything in there, decorated it with neonlights, a strobe, a smoke machine, some normal lights. I hung posters, flyers and broken cd's (backwards) on the walls. In front of the "booth" there was enough space to invite some friends over. There was also a videocamera wich I used to record my "sessions", so I could watch it later on VHS to improve myself. It was pretty awesome actually. A year later (2004) I got an awesome birthdaypresent: a new amplifier, a new mixer and new turntables! Some cheap JB Systems set, but it was better than what I had, lol. Soon after that I bought FL Studio 8 and started to produce my own tracks, wich worked out pretty decent. I even had 1 track played in an actual club! Unfortunately, soon after that -in 2005- my mom died and I fell in a deep hole. Whatever I did, I didn't enjoy it as much as before. So I quitted everything, sold everything and did other things since then. A few months back I needed some Christmas decorations from the attic but I've found something I thought I didn't have anymore: the very first Phonic MR45/AT mixer I had when I started in 2003, and one of those tiny cassettes you could put in a VHS with a recording of one of my sessions. I watched it and left a tear, I downloaded FL Studio again (since it's a lifetime product) and I feel like I enjoy it again. So I'm planning to buy some new gear in the next few weeks/months. And that's some background information about me. :-)

Welcome!
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

That's a nice back story although i'm sorry to read about your mom passing when you were so young, I can't imagine what that would have done to me. Glad you feel you can enjoy mixing again and hope you enjoy getting back into it.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Thanks! It really was a tough time to go through.

But things really have changed in the past 11 years, I don't know where to start looking for decent gear, as I never had any experience with CDJ's whatsoever, so I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to ask you pro's for some advice. What I have in mind to get is a pretty standard setup: turntable - tabletop - mixer - tabletop - turntable. About the turntables, there's only 1 choice: the Technics 1210mk2. No doubt about that, but that will come eventually when I find a good deal. I want to focus (for now) on the digital aspect. The same friend when it all started has now a Denon set, i gave it a try and I pretty much like everything about it. He has an DN-X1100 mixer and SC-3700 tabletops. So I think I also want to go with Denon aswell. Unfortunately, wherever I look, I can't find new Denon tabletops but I've read that Denon is going to offer something new in 2017 so after a quick search I've found 2 possibilities:
    - I've found a complete -used- set (2x Denon SC-2900 and DN-X1600 mixer + flightcase) for 1,000 EUR (851 GPB / 1,040 USD)
    - I've found a -used- DN-X1700 for 750 EUR (638 GBP / 780 USD) with no tabletops. But then I'll get the Technics 1210mk2's instead and wait for the new Denon's to come out and see what they offer.

What would you prefer ? I'm also open for other options aswell.

Looks like you've got quite a decent budget and if you're looking at Dennon then my advice would be for a little bit more cash (£200 more), seriously consider this because you can use it as a stand alone, or with a laptop on Serato DJ, and when you get you Technics, they'll go straight into it and it could last you for years.

http://www.denondj.com/mcx8000

* Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads