Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convert my audio system into amateur mixing system, with minimal decrease in SQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jump Junkie View Post
    You could look into a Portable crossfader.. basically just uses the line signals of each TT as inputs and outputs into whatever system you have no need for a mixer at all..
    Take it you meant portable crossfader?

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJNo View Post
    Youve just described a mixer.
    Yeah but to be fair that could be a sensible solution if all the other features of the mixer like EQ aren't required.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Po...ble+crossfader
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Sorry for the delay in response, and thanks for all your responses.. i was going to scrap this whole idea, but your responses have got me thinking about it again..

yes i have removed the preamp in my lp120 since day 1. i did do my research in that regard. i also can buy lp120's at a cost near to the lp60 due to my work, so i think its a good buy. I'm interested in this portable crossfader...but i wouldnt mind a bit of tone control too for fun... now that i think about it, the carver preamp i have (c4000) has a hell of a lot of tonal controls to play with! maybe i could just get a second...

at the same time... i have an option to get a used ecler nuo 3.0 for $200 canadian... at the moment i am not sure what to do...
    Last edited by samk1234; 12-29-2016 at 11:14 PM.

I don't understand, why xone 62? Is there a difference in SQ between the 62 and the 22, 23, 23c, 32 etc? I have no need for 6 channels, unless this unit really stands out among the other xone models

i've done research on portable mixers, it seems like they normally output straight into speakers. as you mentioned, it takes the line signals of each TT. my intention would be to use the phono out of each TT, as i want to still run it through the phono pre. would this cause any issues?

The other xone models are good.. but reason I suggested the Xone:62 particularly:

1) It has EQ (tone) bypass switches for each channel, the smaller models don't have that. Since you're looking for the best sound quality you might want to use that sometimes.

2) It also has channel on/off switches and crossfader bypass.

3) If you like fancy EQ, it has four band eq (most DJ mixers have three and some have two). The filters are pretty fun too.

4) It was an expensive mixer in its heyday, and is constructed more like a pro (live sound) mixer.. but because it's not super popular anymore, used prices are reasonable.

5) Enough inputs to replace your current preamp if you want.

That said, all the A&H models are very good. If you don't want all that you'll still get nice results with a smaller one.
    The Ecler Nuo is also an excellent DJ mixer, I have one. i can't speak for the phono preamp quality because I haven't really compared that directly, but the Ecler is my favorite mixer to mix on, and it sounds very very good. Is the A&H better? Forgetting about the phono preamp aspect, they're very very close. I notice the A&H has more pronounced highs.. but that may be just a frequency response variation and have no bearing on the overall sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by samk1234 View Post
    my intention would be to use the phono out of each TT, as i want to still run it through the phono pre. would this cause any issues?
    No issues at all. Run your TTs to preamps to the mixer (via line level). As an aside, I'd love some insight as to whether the preamps really make a difference in this setup.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

i have found a xone 62, used but in "pristine" condition, claimed. what do you think is a good price for it? the sellers lowest price is 700 canadian... and how can i tell if it is in pristine condition?

That seems a bit of a high price to me. I'm seeing ebay sales mostly at around $300-400USD with some selling for more. So, even accounting for USD to CAD conversion, $700CAD is right at the very top. Especially for a project that's kind of an experiment for you.