Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st day fully set up and started my new hobby.

1st day fully set up and started my new hobby.

So I mixed back when it was easier, lol. Back in about 88 when you had two turntables a mixer a receiver and a couple of subs. The mixer was a one man club and I believe it was made by numark. Anyhow, I've been reading and watching a lot of videos on using and learning the controller. I finally set things up and it's a bit tough at first it feels like. I also i think I might be starting with the wrong genre which is hip hop. Maybe I should be using house since it's all beats. Anyhow , things are not sounding so good but give me time, lol. Well improve slowly but shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, good luck! I only have two decks and a mixer, I keep it as minimal as possible when I mix.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
    So I mixed back when it was easier, lol. Back in about 88 when you had two turntables a mixer
    Really the only difference is the bells & whistles. (Samples, effects, & cue points.) And you scratch on a smaller platter. That & you can have your music on a hard drive (or flash drives) instead of a bunch of records.

I also i think I might be starting with the wrong genre which is hip hop. Maybe I should be using house since it's all beats.
    It might just be your taste in music has changed. All EDM should be pretty easy to mix. Whether it's Hip-Hop or Glitch-Hop, Brostep or Funkstep, Techno or Trance, Bitpop or Synthpop, J-Core or Moombahcore, Ambient Dub or Dubstyle.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 12-27-2016 at 12:25 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Nice one, glad you're all set! I'd just start off mixing the old classics you used to back in the day, tunes you know really well, then bring your newer stuff in.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Quote Originally Posted by andymunro View Post
    Nice one, glad you're all set! I'd just start off mixing the old classics you used to back in the day, tunes you know really well, then bring your newer stuff in.
    I think I'll go that route , I've also decided to stay away from a lot of the bells and whistles and focus on mixing. Once I can mix fairly well I can dip into the other bells and whistles

Thru a pic of my set up - I might be raising the table so I can stand and mix - sitting down just doesn't work. Not too shabby though ...

I just broke a 32" samsung like this one a couple of weeks ago. The screen wobbled a little and the stand broke right at the base
    Shoot here -----------------> SoundCloud ________________________________ MixCloud________________ __________________YouTube

Nice setup to start! I second @Manu's thoughts here - secure that monitor/TV to that box with some earthquake tape or get a proper adjustable VESA monitor arm to attach to your desk, don't want that thing tipping over

happy mixing!

Thru a pic of my set up - I might be raising the table so I can stand and mix - sitting down just doesn't work. Not too shabby though ...

Looks nice! I know what you mean as far as mixing while sitting. It took me some getting used to but ideally, I'd love a setup where I can stand. I might set something up like that when I finish up our front room. As stated above, definitely secure the monitor if you can.

Back in the day I wouldn't say it was easier, just more technical, and required some level of skill, it's much easier nowadays with the obvious integration of technology.
    Good luck with your reignited ambition. Sitting while mixing? I do like to sit if I'm prepping tracks or playlists, it doesn't feel right if I'm sitting behind the gear in a live setting,