Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many times do you end up recording live mixes before you're satisfied?

I never edit my mixes, except for normalizing and tweaking the levels of the entire mix as a whole.

I may have the tracks lined up, but I don't map out where I mix or fx locations or any of that.

I usually finish a mix after 2 or 3 goes. The best part about DJ sets is that they are different each time. If I mess up, I immediately start over. I might remember a cut here or a fx there, but it is all organic. Cutting and pasting, in my opinion, ruins the groove of the mix.

unlike a jazz gig where musicians are expected to play perfectly while improvising.
    I bet to what you thought was perfect, that Jazz musician will be thinking different. They to will have similar issues.

There isn't such a thing as perfect, well there is, perfectly imperfect. If it was perfect it would be stale. It's one of those things that keeps contradicting it self, depending on view point.

If you can do it over then it wasn't really live was it?? :p

But personally I am too lazy to record mixes at home.. I record them live (at a gig) with my portable recorder and then if I didn't fuck it up TOO badly I'll put it online. There are usually a couple of mixes in there that make me cringe but hey.. its live and usually unrehearsed.

I'm not suggesting you do it my way necessarily, but what I think is that if you have your cue points preset and your BPM preset ahead of time then you're most of the way there and maybe you are just being too critical.

Last edited by ImNoDJNo; 01-17-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    If you can do it over then it wasn't really live was it?? :p
    Good point! a live mix is different from a demo or a proper mix you're planning out.