Thread: One turntable into two channel inputs?!

One turntable into two channel inputs?!

Hey folks!

Anyone ever tried to split the signal from your turntable to two different inputs on your mixer, using a split-cable or something like that?
    I have a 4 channel mixer and only use 2 of them with my turntables.

the idea would be to use the doubled signal for more detailed effects (one channel with the original sound, while on the other channel you could add some effects, e.g. only on the highs or mids as you could use the EQs on that signal seperatly. like delay just on the higher frequencies, with the non-distorted bass still pumping on the original channel).
    i hope you know how i am thinking about

if there is anyone who has any experience with something like that, it would be great to hear of you!

ps: english is not my native language, so please excuse me, if there are any mistakes!

Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

the link doesn't work, but yeah, i thought about RCA Y cables.

the actual question is, if there will be any problems with the sound quality or volume, as the split might result in a loss of power.

Will have no problems.

Link works for me.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7187
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Technically speaking, turntable inputs should not be split with y adapters because the input impedance expected by the cartridge is 47K Ohms. That is the standard .. and splitting to two inputs would result in an input impedance of half that, 23.5K Ohms. It may change the sound of the cart.

But you can't hurt anything by trying it, and Y adapters are cheap. So ya know, give it a try on one turntable perhaps and compare to the other that is not split and see if you detect a problem with the sound. If you're happy with the sound then go right ahead it is not going to hurt anything.

Thank you for your answers!
    now, the link works (y) that's what i was thinking about, but a cable version.

i will give it try and let you know how it's working!

well, here are the results: i didn't notice any changes to the sound quality, also the volume is just fine. no difference than before.
    i don't know how it will sound in a club situation or on such a high volume at a party or anything, but at home it sounds just fine right now.

the fun part is, that i can now add just a little effect to the highs or mids, while the original track is still playing (no totally f*cked up kick drum or anything), so there are just some slight changes to hear in the background. or you can add totaly different sounds to it (i'm using a boss dd7 and rv-6), which can make a whole new song when you play around with the knobs on the effect pedals.

i am using two technics and a xone 43 by the way.

Nice! Glad it worked out