View Poll Results: Do you use a contract on your gigs, especially mobile gigs but club or otherwise gigs

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Always

2 25.00%
  • Sometimes

3 37.50%
  • No: I never use a contract

2 25.00%
  • Other: I'll explain in the thread

1 12.50%

Thread: Do You Use A Contract?

Do You Use A Contract?

I noticed a recent post where the member stated he will play mobile events without a contract.

Personally, I would never, ever, for any reason, play a gig without a contract of some sort. I understand that everyone here manages their business differently & that is what makes us different & is why some clients choose one over the other. There are many reasons, but I wont bash or condemn anyone who doesn't use a contract but I think its extremely poor business & lack of protection for you & your clients. Additionally, you, nor your clients have any recourse or reference without something in writing. If there is a disagreement, a misunderstanding or mix up in what was initially discussed, without your policies & the things you agree on like, time, location, music, pay etc, neither of you have any way to resolve the situation.

Its unrealistic to me that ANYONE would go into a this or ANY business deal & not have a contract of some sort.

Lets discuss.... rationally & respectfully. Remember, each to his own & if someone else chooses to run his business different that you, its his prerogative to do so. You may not agree with him but its HIS business, not yours. Fortunately, you can run yours as you please just as he has the right to do so.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

95% of the mobile DJ events I do have no contract.

I try to for the most part. For mobile gigs like weddings, corporate events etc... YES. They usually require an invoice as well. I kind of tie them in together.

For small homie functions and the occasional one off gigs at a local bar/lounge I don't.

Is it necessary? Not really. Especially if you're not doing it as a FT thing and not claiming it as taxable income.
    But in other cases it is. If you're doing it as your main income then why not? What if the person who hired you doesn't pay you? How are you going to make sure they do?