Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underpaid DJs: How should this guy have reacted in this scenario?

If the DJ needs to responsible for promoting the event he should get a cut in the takings and equity on the brand. Or get paid as a promoter.

I would never get involved in promotion, its not my thing, i just turn up and play.

when i first started i DJed standing in for 100 quid but that dried up when the lads i worked for lost the gig. So i had no work for a while and was offered a night in the basement room of a bar for free drinks, i then got the job upstairs on a sat (smallish venue but packed) for 30 quid and free drinks. Its not much but i had a mortgage to pay so 30 quid and free drinks meant i got a night out for nothing each week and had laugh too. moved on since then and was earning 100 quid each gig up until recently then again the bar changed its night so was out of work for a few months (i have a normal day job so no biggy), recently I've had a couple of ad-hoc gigs and done one for 50 quid each with 2 of us, again we got pissed and had a good time, the owner enjoyed it and offered us a monthly slot so im happy enough.

Its not all about the money when DJing is the moral of the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    It's only because features like auto-sync have opened the doors for a bunch of lazy cunts to buy some gear and think they're a DJ a week later that we go round and round in circles with this same topic.

Quote Originally Posted by akswun View Post
    lol... $50... $20.... really?

FOH with that shit. Totally deface the promoters FB calling him cheap.
    I will volunteer my time before doing a $50 event. I've done it before.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akswun View Post
    FOH with that shit.
    Front Of House with that shit?
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

It depends on his options. If he was literally trying to get his feet wet and it was one of his first venues, he should be gracious. Albeit $50 is chump change to pay a dj, you have to start somewhere.
    https://soundcloud.com/zsquared-doe/my-name-is-zsquared-official-edm-mix