Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: using pa speakers for car audio

It's not really true that PA drivers "project" further than a similar car audio driver. PA cabinets use waveguides and arrangements (like line arrays) to shape sound, but that's not a direct tie to the driver itself.

In reality there's not that much difference between the two. But in most cases a 3-way isn't going to sound any better than a good 2-way unless you take the time to properly rebuild the doors for your midbass, create custom pods for the midrange/tweeters, and spend an eternity tuning it with active crossovers. It takes a ton of work to do it right.

technically saying they are not interchangeable is only about 90% true. the company i formerly worked for was notorious for using car speakers in professional gear. the problems were always the surrounds. i have seen rubber surrounds shredded, pulverized, eaten away and completely blown from the basket on many many occasions. the Lanzar MAX15D's are notorious for destroying themselves in pro situations. i mean when they work they do wonderfully, but they may last a month or two until they are gone

in fact in a pinch i have siliconed the surrounds back on to get through a single job. not saying it was my proudest moment but necessity facilitates innovation.

on the other hand i have used pro audio woofers in cars and they had their own set of problems. car amplifiers while they have a ton of power they are not clean power. they cook pro audio voice coils with all sorts of harmonics. i mean if your careful sure they will work but for the cost difference just buy some cheap disposable 15's cook them and move on

***Edit... and i just saw that this topic is going on 3 years old. the OP is probably deaf and the S-10 is probably in the junk yard till now. oh well, i should read dates before i post***

It appears that you're asking about car speakers. The place to do that is on an auto sound forum.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum