Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: using pa speakers for car audio

using pa speakers for car audio

im wanting to build a center speaker console for my s10 with race bucket seats. wanting to use a 10 for 90hz-500hz and two eminence LA6-CBMR 6.5's for 500hz-3500hz then have my bullet tweeters take over from 3500hz and up. what do I need to know about building the console box?

Why use P.A. speakers. Also what type of processing are you going to use for the center channel.

I would look here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

I was gonna use a 3 way active crossover and a 4 channel amp. I was gonna bridge two 4ohm channels to get 8ohm for the 10. using pa speakers cause the have a 5-9db advantage in sensitivity over car audio drivers
    Last edited by truitt; 12-04-2016 at 06:10 PM.

PA speakers are designed for sustained signals along farther distances than car audio. In a car you're only a few feet from the sound source, while PA speakers are designed for you to be 10+ feet away.

that's what some car audio guys recommended. I need it really loud cause im pushing 150db+ of bass, and can't even hear the music with my alpine speakers
    Last edited by truitt; 12-04-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by truitt View Post
    I need it really loud cause im pushing 150db+ of bass
    No, you're not. If you were you'd be deaf in less than a minute. Car audio SPL numbers are phony, google Cabin Gain. In any event, keep listening really loud and you will be deaf sooner or later.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Different wattage, different ratings, different source power, get the right car audio gear, and amp em accordingly. Seperate amp for Subs and run a good set(s) of components up front, amp these too, good component sets will have their own crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    No, you're not. If you were you'd be deaf in less than a minute. Car audio SPL numbers are phony, google Cabin Gain. In any event, keep listening really loud and you will be deaf sooner or later.
    it got windshield metered doing 151.2db at 42hz. so I don't know what you mean by im not doing 150db+. sure outside the three 15s would do 125-130db maybe but in my s10 its 150+

theres a few guys spl windshield metering at 180db and lots doing 170db

and no normal driving I do 140-145 of bass
    Last edited by truitt; 12-05-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by truitt View Post
    I don't know what you mean by im not doing 150db+.
    Because this:

Basically, above 115dB you inflict instant hearing damage to yourself. A genuine 150 dB is the equivalent of a 12 gauge shot next to your ear so I doubt your system is currently producing that. Or you would be already deaf indeed.

And I'm afraid that's all the tips I have to give. I do not disclose technical knowledge if the aim can potentially destroy your ear drums.

In short, they make Concert speakers for a reason.... concerts. They are designed for that. Not cars.

They make car speakers for cars. They are designed for cars. Not concerts.

You wouldnt lean a couple of broom sticks against a house for a ladder would you? No, cause it aint made for it. Just cause you can, dont mean you should try it.

I understand you want to try it, but take my word for it.... you cant use broom sticks for ladders... it just wont support you. However, I know some people just dont get it sometimes. So, if you want to try it.... just make sure your insurance is current.

If you want to learn why & educate yourself here about why this is not a good idea, we can continue the discussion. Otherwise, no one here, I hope, is not going to help you with putting PA speakers in your car.

Besides, I really dont want to hear you going through my neighborhood, 5 streets over, thumpin'.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php