Thread: An easier way to manage email, word docs, and excel sheets for DJs

An easier way to manage email, word docs, and excel sheets for DJs

I've seen DJs who have 5 different systems for managing client information, contracts, invoices, etc. They bust out a bunch of paper or have long email threads with information scattered thats tough to remember and even tougher to access on-the-go. I think some clients nowadays expect something more modern and less clunky.

I might've come up with something for people that helps w/ the problems mentioned above. If you're interested, please respond on this thread or send me a PM.

Can you give us at least a general/basic explanation of your plan? I mean;
    1) members here can get at least an idea of what your offering to know if they have a general interest in your plan
    2) you wont have to go through the basic idea of your plan every time someone contacts you
    3) is there a cost
    4) we do not allow solicitations specifically if its for profit for commercial or retail sales/promotions. We do however have vendor accounts for a fee, which would allow you to promote commercial or retail sales products/services.

If you have questions or concerns, you may contact myself or KLH for assistance.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

So here's some background information:

What I'm developing is currently free (and doesn't yet exist). Wanted community feedback to make sure it actually solves DJ's problems.

It's basically software to manage your availability calendar, client information, and bookings online. All your event details, accessible anywhere on any device. Here's a screenshot for one of the screens e.g. http://imgur.com/a/Xp3Df

I'm thinking of adding a website embed feature where someone can visit your website and the event information automatically pops up into your event list.

A few questions for members of the forum.

How do you currently manage your event information? Also, what are the annoying parts of the process?

For transparency sake, I'd like to keep the discussion on this thread as much as possible.

they call me (or email, etc) for availability. I use chaos intellect for my calendar and conctacts - syncs to my phone and computer, had reminders, contacts are part of it, etc.
    It can also email and link the emails to the clients..i had soem issues a few years back with that so I quite using it.

I have my contract in word and pdf, as well as planner and music lists. I can email this or snail mail it to clients (prefer to snail mail the contract, filled out, with return envelope).

I've looked at some of the online options for tracking gigs, booking, etc and they all make me change my way of doing business to fit their idea of how I should be organized and doing business.

Flaws in the system...don't know if there are any/many. Yes, some things can get 'lost' in a chain of emails, but all client emails go into a folder in thunderbird so it's not hard to find them.
    The written file contains the planner and contract and any other info (copies of their payments for example).

If i had multi-ops and did 70 some gigs a year I might need something else, but for what I do this works just fine - 20ish DJ gigs, plus photobooth and a photography studio.

I use Google Calendar for all of my events and appointments. It works seamlessly with my gmail account and my android phone and even gives me alarm reminders the day before letting me know what's going on tomorrow. It's hard to envision anything being more integrated than that.

I wasn't going to really get into this because its not my intent to discourage anyone from giving positive info & or investigating his personal, individual needs. However, after 15 years as a mobile, I have my own system that works well for me. When I book an event, I put it in my phone calendar with the info on the date & time of the event. Additionally, I scan all documents related to the event (contract, event contact sheet, music planner, scanned payments, contract amendments, etc) as a PDF file, into the clients folder on my laptop. If I need to check dates, its on my phone, If I need to review info about the date, event or client, I just open that folder titled by the clients name & access the related file I need to review. Simple process that has served me well for many years.

Now, this doesn't mean that what works for me, will work for everyone. Everyone is different & require different avenues. This software in question may indeed help a lot of guys who need more, better access than I do. So, its worth each individual researching his needs & inquire.

I do know that some DJ related advertising sites come with some packages that shows booked dates, available dates, etc that both the vendor (DJ) & potential clients can access & review.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I use google, so also for mobile:
    -gmail: contact
    -google drive: for online invoices, contracts,...
    -google calendar: planning
    everything is there