Thread: Electrovoice ETX 35P

Electrovoice ETX 35P

Hi,
    I friend of mine wants to buy a pair of EV ETX35P for is living room because he likes doing partys and everything and doesn't have the money to also have a good pair of speaker for every day listening.
    He ask me if it is a good choice, from spec and for having heard them in a Steve's Music store i would probably say yes, but i want your opinion about this speaker and his particular use of them. (hes doesn't want any subs)

Thanks all !!

I just heard the ETX35P for the first time a few weeks ago and they are very good. The sound quality is pretty high and the bass is there down to around 50Hz? A little bit harsh in the highs when pushed but your friend won't even come close to pushing them at home.

But actually I think these are a bad choice for home speakers because of their narrow (60 x 40) coverage pattern they wouldn't cover a small room smoothly. And they also are too short to sit on the ground but because of their size and weight you'd need a real proper speaker stand with the legs spread out to hold them and who wants that in your living room??

A pair of ETX10p with an EKX/ETX15sp would be a far better choice.. much better coverage in a home situation. I know you say he doesn't want a sub but it makes no sense since this combo will cost about the same or less as the pair of ETX35p, take up less room and sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    I just heard the ETX35P for the first time a few weeks ago and they are very good. The sound quality is pretty high and the bass is there down to around 50Hz? A little bit harsh in the highs when pushed but your friend won't even come close to pushing them at home.

But actually I think these are a bad choice for home speakers because of their narrow (60 x 40) coverage pattern they wouldn't cover a small room smoothly. And they also are too short to sit on the ground but because of their size and weight you'd need a real proper speaker stand with the legs spread out to hold them and who wants that in your living room??

A pair of ETX10p with an EKX/ETX15sp would be a far better choice.. much better coverage in a home situation. I know you say he doesn't want a sub but it makes no sense since this combo will cost about the same or less as the pair of ETX35p, take up less room and sound better.
    Thanks for the response ! I wanted to push him toward the Klipsch RF-7 ( Very efficient home speaker (101 db 1w/1m) 15-500 watt per canal) plug in a crown XLS 1000, but i have never heard them so i cannot tell how loud they get? Maybe this could be a great option for (3000-4000$) ?

What kind of music does your friend listen to? If its classic rock then these or just about any PA speaker will do exactly what he wants but if on the other hand he likes modern hip-hop/rap and such then he will quickly become aware that all the real low notes are completely missing. So I would also suggest buying a better quality home audio speaker system that includes a beefy sub or two, you can buy PA equipment that will reproduce these low notes with authority but they cost big money and will take up lots of space.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Being in Canada Yorkville should be on the top of your list. You can find some fantastic deals on used Yorkville equipment on craigslist.
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    What kind of music does your friend listen to? If its classic rock then these or just about any PA speaker will do exactly what he wants but if on the other hand he likes modern hip-hop/rap and such then he will quickly become aware that all the real low notes are completely missing. So I would also suggest buying a better quality home audio speaker system that includes a beefy sub or two, you can buy PA equipment that will reproduce these low notes with authority but they cost big money and will take up lots of space.
    Mostly electronic! Maybe i could build him a dayton audio Ultimax 18 to go with it ? 1000 watt RMS iNuke6000 to power it?

Because JTR are out of his budget! And mine sadly haha

Quote Originally Posted by edben View Post
    Mostly electronic! Maybe i could build him a dayton audio Ultimax 18 to go with it ? 1000 watt RMS iNuke6000 to power it?

Because JTR are out of his budget! And mine sadly haha
    Build a THT.

Or six.......

Quote Originally Posted by edben View Post
    Yeah that would do it. Maybe add a pair of EV ZXa1 PA cabs for the topend, these will better handle the extended high output duty of a house party than most home audio speakers that don't cost an arm and a leg. Another box I know you would like the sound of is the Yamaha DXR8.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com