Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handheld recorders...(Zoom H5 vs Any other recommendations?)

Never mind my previous post.. Looks like Roland finally came out with a new recorder, the R07.. It's $229.. If that's in your range then I would strongly suggest it.. as I said above I've been really happy with both Roland R09HR and R05 that I have had.

EDIT:

Oh shoot it seems that this new recorder also only has one jack for mic and line with a really high sensitivity so it might have the same problem as the tascam.. That's really disappointing because it looks awesome otherwise. It has aptx streaming to your phone for live streaming while you record, you can remote control it with your phone too.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 04-26-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    as I said above I've been really happy with both Roland R09HR and R05 that I have had.
    Roland makes quality gear. I don't think I've ever regretted purchasing their gear.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    ...That's really disappointing because it looks awesome otherwise. It has aptx streaming to your phone for live streaming while you record, you can remote control it with your phone too.
    That's what I was originally looking for an adaptor with inputs and aptx streaming so that my (android) phone would actually record the digital audio. I'll look again, but I couldn't find such a device... and truth being said if it's wireless, I wouldn't trust it.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Roland makes quality gear. I don't think I've ever regretted purchasing their gear.

That's what I was originally looking for an adaptor with inputs and aptx streaming so that my (android) phone would actually record the digital audio. I'll look again, but I couldn't find such a device... and truth being said if it's wireless, I wouldn't trust it.
    Well, the way I understand it, the recorder is just like any normal recorder.. it records on an SD card. But while it's doing that it can also stream to your cellphone or to bluetooth headphones.

Wait just a minute, folks. I think I have another solution! For $60, I can use a USB sound interface directly on my phone. While I use Android, iOS devices should be covered as well.

Check this out:

* Use an USB OTG cable (iOS uses something similar that has a lighting plug on one end and a USB port on the other)
    * Use an USB audio class 1 compliant sound interface
    * Use a digital audio app that can recognize the USB device

Since I use Android and I have an old Roland/Edirol UA1-EX usb sound interface, I'm going to check it out. Audio Evolution Mobile Studio is a DAW on Android, so I'll let you know.
    Last edited by KLH; 04-27-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I just got a Zoom F1 digital recorder with the boom mic. I got it because it has a hot shoe mount so I can put it right on top of my Panasonic GH4 camera, and it has line inputs so I can record straight from my mixer. It also has an output so I can use the preamps on the recorder, and record the output to the camera, so the sound is in sync with the video. Plus I can use the boom mic for blogging.

This thread inspired me to look at the DR 40... then I discovered that there's a DR 05 for half the price! Basically, the DR 40 ($200) is for pros and the DR 05 ($100) is for consumers. Apparently they sound the same in terms of recording and have similar features. For differences, the DR 40 has cardioid condenser mics and a pair of Neutrik combo inputs (XLR and TRS) where the DR 05 has omni-directional mics and a 1/8" TRS input.
    Hey KLH I got the DR 40 as I intend to use the multi-track feature to record a line-in at the same time as recording crowd noise, which I can then paste into the 'clean' mix at approriate times.

Wait just a minute, folks. I think I have another solution! For $60, I can use a USB sound interface directly on my phone. While I use Android, iOS devices should be covered as well... Since I use Android and I have an old Roland/Edirol UA1-EX usb sound interface, I'm going to check it out. Audio Evolution Mobile Studio is a DAW on Android, so I'll let you know.
    THIS IS AWESOME! For the price of an OTG USB cable and a $7 app, I have a portable recording solution!

Here's a review of USB Recorder Pro ($7 app):

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    Hey KLH I got the DR 40 as I intend to use the multi-track feature to record a line-in at the same time as recording crowd noise, which I can then paste into the 'clean' mix at approriate times.
    Apparently, the makers of USB Recorder Pro also make a DAW for iOS/Android called Audio Evolution Mobile Studio ($7+ as extra features cost more in the app) that also can record via USB devices and then use the recordings in the DAW!

It is downright scary how powerful mobile devices have become.
    Last edited by KLH; 05-03-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    -KLH

THIS IS AWESOME! For the price of an OTG USB cable and a $7 app, I have a portable recording solution!

Here's a review of USB Recorder Pro ($7 app):

Apparently, the makers of USB Recorder Pro also make a DAW for iOS/Android called Audio Evolution Mobile Studio ($7+ as extra features cost more in the app) that also can record via USB devices and then use the recordings in the DAW!

It is downright scary how powerful mobile devices have become.
    it's amazing how tech has made everything so simple and affordable for everyone - no excuse now for DJ's not to have current mixes recorded, wherever you're playing!

I agree wholeheartedly, dlove! Now... where's your latest mix? I needs some of that old skool back-of-the-rack dlove goodness.
    -KLH

Well yea guys being able to record on your phone via OTG is great, it is not exactly "free" tho, you do need to buy a compatible USB sound interface. Also from what I've heard, not every phone allows charging while doing OTG even if you have the right cable. USB C phones all do.

But yea it is a nice option.

Personally I prefer to use a real recorder .. because I want to be able to leave the recorder running for other sets beside my own and I want the use of my phone .. also it's just more reliable. Same reason I don't use my laptop for recording, it's not as reliable.. something always gets unplugged or the wrong button pushed or some kind of error, and the recording doesn't happen for some reason.... Soon as I got a proper recorder, my recordings started coming out great every time. With my Roland I have recorded entire weekends non-stop.