Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handheld recorders...(Zoom H5 vs Any other recommendations?)

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Well yea guys being able to record on your phone via OTG is great, it is not exactly "free" tho, you do need to buy a compatible USB sound interface.
    You are absolutely right about these points. It's about $60 - $40 for a sound interface, $10 for an OTG cable, and ~$10 for the recording app. At that price, it's in the ballpark of the Tascam DR 05 - which is $100 new and ~$80 used.

Personally I prefer to use a real recorder .. because I want to be able to leave the recorder running for other sets beside my own and I want the use of my phone .. also it's just more reliable.
    Each have their pros and cons. I like the convenience having the app on the phone, but that's really the only convenience. You still have to carry the interface and the OTG cable - so it's not the most convenient way to go. While I haven't run into the charging issue (as my recordings have so far only been 1-2 hours), I can see running into it when I record for 3+ hours. Speaking of reliability, at least with Android I record with the screen on because Android will put the app to sleep when the screen's off. Admittedly, I need to test this more.

The dedicated sound recorder is ultimately more reliable and more professional as it's a dedicated recording tool. After playing with the DJ app, sound interface, and cable, I now lean towards the dedicated recorder as being a better solution - as it's only $25 more - especially if you want to use your phone while you're recording.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Well... after having such success with my Android phone... I bought a Tascam DR 05! It's so much more convenient. The recordings are always great and I get to use my phone!

I almost got the DR 40, but I'm not yet a rich and super successful globe-trotting DJ like dlove. One day, DJF... One. Day.
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

One of the advantages of the DR40 over the DR05 is that, if there is one, you can record the audience/ambiance with the built-in mics while simultaneously recording the output from the mixer.

The DR05 for $99 is a nice deal, the only issue with it (and a ton of other lower priced recorders) is that it only has the one "Mic" input which is way too sensitive for the output of a typical DJ mixer. This can be fixed with the purchase of an attenuator cable tho. It's too bad that they have left out the Line input from all these new recorders. Probably because DJs don't buy these as much as they used to (controller DJ's don't need them) and they are mostly used for live music, meetings etc...

I am currently looking for a new recorder because my Roland R-09HR is starting to flake out.. I thought of buying another used R-09HR but their resale prices are really high.. cause people love them as much as I did.. but they are old now.. maybe not worth it. So I was thinking of saying eff it and getting the new Roland R-07 .. it not as pro as the R-09HR but seems nicer built than the R-05 was.. but the really nice thing is that it has a bluetooth phone remote app, you can see the levels on your phone while it's recording, start it stop it.. can also stream to a bluetooth speaker or headphones while recording. But, it also has this super sensitive input like all the other new ones.. so would need an attenuator cable for that too. But the bluetooth would be great for me when I am doing sound and want to record other djs besides myself.. I can check on the recording without being on stage....

The DR05 for $99 is a nice deal, the only issue with it (and a ton of other lower priced recorders) is that it only has the one "Mic" input which is way too sensitive for the output of a typical DJ mixer. This can be fixed with the purchase of an attenuator cable tho. It's too bad that they have left out the Line input from all these new recorders.
    According to the DR-05 manual, the mic-in also takes line-in:

A 1/8" microphone input is also available for adding your own stereo microphone or recording a line-level source.
    -KLH

Yea, but if you look at the specs you will note that it is designed for really low line levels.. I gorget the numbers now.. but the +1 dBv output of a Pioneer or similar DJ mixer is well above the max.

But yea, for me, when I had to replace my Roland R09hr (which I loved) I could not find a recorder that was quite what I wanted AND had a proper line input .. so I got a Roland R07 and use an attenuator cable.

I should say.. I got nothing against Tascam I still have my DR100 but it is limited to old SD cards. I could have tried a newer Tascam but the R09 has just been so good.. so I stuck with it. If I was made of money I'd want a Sound Devices recorder as well, so nice 8)
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 05-18-2020 at 11:50 PM.