Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handheld recorders...(Zoom H5 vs Any other recommendations?)

Handheld recorders...(Zoom H5 vs Any other recommendations?)

So I've recently had a live set recorded with a Zoom H5 (below), and I must say I was very happy with the sound quality of the recording, and the build of the recording. My perception of the playback is that it almost sounds like something that had post-recording renders. Basically it sounds like it was mastered.

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/hand...handy-recorder

Thinking of buying one, but also interested to know what other products are worthy of looking for high quality recording devices.

Wouldn't it be easier or cheapier to record with software?

Zoom is pretty fine, the next best equivalent brand I think of would be Tascam.

Quote Originally Posted by rikv View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier or cheapier to record with software?

I don't think it would be easier; possibly cheaper.

But I did not ask about easy or cheap options.

I asked specifically about good sound quality handheld recording devices.

Thanks tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Zoom is pretty fine, the next best equivalent brand I think of would be Tascam.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm using a tascam device and i'm pretty happy..

Hi, I've just got the Tascam DR 40; got it 2 weeks ago (to record straight vinyl sets) and although I'm not that technical, it's pleasant to use with lots of good features

@rikv - some people have no software in their set-up

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    Hi, I've just got the Tascam DR 40
    This thread inspired me to look at the DR 40... then I discovered that there's a DR 05 for half the price! Basically, the DR 40 ($200) is for pros and the DR 05 ($100) is for consumers. Apparently they sound the same in terms of recording and have similar features. For differences, the DR 40 has cardioid condenser mics and a pair of Neutrik combo inputs (XLR and TRS) where the DR 05 has omni-directional mics and a 1/8" TRS input.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

All the cheaper Tascam models (under DR-100) have a problem where the input is too sensitive to handle the output of DJ mixers. You can still use them but you need to get an attenuator cable or attenuator adapters to use with it. If you do that, they are good. But you have to do that.

I have a Roland R-09HR and a R-05 and they have both been great.. I use the 09 mostly, it is better but has to be plugged in because the battery life is very short. The 05 is slightly less quality but still great and amazing battery life. Both are discontinued but the 05 is still findable new. I'm thinking of getting another used 09HR while I still can....

If I was looking for a new recorder right now I'd probably be looking at Sony or Marantz.
    I've heard too many bad things about Zoom.

Tascam's good but I've already had a DR-100 and it's fantastic but quite chunky to carry around. Of course so's the nicer Zoom... The lesser Tascam with the attenuator cable is prob the best bet for small and cheap yet new, if you cannot find an R-05.