Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All about QSC Speakers

All about QSC Speakers

During the DJF transition, it was suggested by member "fueledbymusic" that we have a few stickies on some of the top brands of speakers. Lets discuss QSC here.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

The most popular QSC powered speakers are K8, K10, K12. The K8's are great for compact work in small rooms, or in a large room with an accompanying subwoofer. The 10s are my personal favorites and also work well with a subwoofer. The K12s are the bad boys that I see installed in clubs and bars and can work well without a subwoofer. The QSC KW181 is THE most common subwoofer I see from the QSC series, it packs a serious punch but it is quite heavy.

The coolest feature about the QSC K series is that they have RCA inputs so you can hook up an iPod and microphone at the same time, eliminating the need for a mixer for simple applications. It's also great to use for background music such as cocktail hour, etc. Not to mention, they look super sleek and sexy and cleanly shaped.
    Last edited by JackStalk; 11-02-2016 at 11:57 PM.

I am not a professional DJ. It's a backyard hobby I love! In the garage. Numark ndx-500, American Audio 10 mxr , 4 BFM tuba 24s, EV ZLX 12p's, Truss full of lights. I STILL have all my equipment as of January 2023!

QSC Introduces K.2 Series Loudspeakers
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...s-Loudspeakers
    Last edited by fueledbymusic; 07-29-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    I am not a professional DJ. It's a backyard hobby I love! In the garage. Numark ndx-500, American Audio 10 mxr , 4 BFM tuba 24s, EV ZLX 12p's, Truss full of lights. I STILL have all my equipment as of January 2023!

Anyone pick up the QSC new generation .2 speakers yet?
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...2-speakers-yet

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymusic View Post
    Anyone pick up the QSC new generation .2 speakers yet?
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...2-speakers-yet
    Tried the 8.2, too small on their own, but looking at the 12.2s now. Anyone else looked at them?

D

Quote Originally Posted by discoagogo View Post
    Tried the 8.2, too small on their own, but looking at the 12.2s now. Anyone else looked at them?

D
    I got mine because I got tired of lugging around my 153's, (the 153's sound AMAZIMG). I've done a couple of small gigs since I purchased mine and they are pretty good. They sound super clear. Sorry I can't give any HIGH TECH SCIENCE SOUND description, but from just a basic observation of a person that loves good sounds like me, I give them a 9 out of 10 in comparing it to other speakers of its class that I have heard. QSC has done me well, and I'm a fan of their speakers. For the PRICE, you can't go wrong with these! I love mine!

I've been expecting this release for some time now. Just thought QSC was going to work on extension to be able to compete against the ETX & SRX subs. Still looks like a good option.

Last edited by Incognito; 10-01-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

No... the biggest complaint about the KW181 is that it doesn't go very low, never once have I heard that it's "only" 1000w.. who is this moron?. There are lots of other powered subs on the market with "more power" but despite that very few of them actually get louder than the KW181 in real world use.

The KS118 looks to be a sister for the KS212 with it's cardioid feature except that this box can't do that on it's own... it requires 2 or more boxes just like EV, Yamaha, JBL and the rest. So much for that. So with all this power on hand surely it goes lower than the KW181... Nope. At least not enough to matter.. -10dB at 35hz vs 37hz. WTF? Well surely it's get way louder then? 136dB Peak vs 135dB.. not even enough to be detectable. Am I missing something here? This looks like a total fail to me.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I admit that I had much higher expectations from QSC (specifically, I thought they were going to work on the lack of extension issue) on this due to the fact that they have had SO LONG to work on stepping up from the KW181. I feel this is more of a sidestep rather than an actual step up, they kept the same internal volume and just reworked the shape of the box then added a DSP. The added available watts is basically useless in that I am sure it's capped via the DSP anyway (it definitely isn't making much impact by way of added SPL) just as they have done with all their other powered speakers, not to mention more watts doesn't in itself mean louder. Perhaps they plan to do what JBL did years back in offering a basic sub then release an XLF (eXtra Low Frequency) version (I know wishful thinking). Did you take note of the weight?

That said I am sure it will sound good for basic top 40 & country DJ's, live bands, etc. that don't require the added extension or excessive SPL (price point dependant). Personally, I am glad QSC released this because now maybe I can find some good deals on some QSC KW181 subs then just use my QSC touch mix mixer to add all of the same DSP features (besides for cardioid which actually still can be done technically). One thing that QSC does always seem to get right is that they build their products like tanks & they have great warranty coverage.
    Last edited by Incognito; 10-02-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta