Thread: Professional Equipment Setup Pics

Professional Equipment Setup Pics

Any of you guys go through any great lenghts to get professional shots of your equipment setups? I feel like its one of the more important things to have but am struggling with being able to get them done. I'm a single op so I usually have just enough time to setup for my gigs before the event starts. Because of that I never have the opportunity to get good pics/video of my setups.

I'm thinking about renting a banquet room for a day and having a photogropher come out and get shots of all my setups to have for clients to see. What have you guys done to get the best equipment setup shots?

If you are doing a long set there would be no harm in playing a backing mix whilst taking photos. You could do it during the food. Most of us type of DJ's are that technically minded we can take a good photo and wouldn't struggle to find our way round editing software.

I'd only do a photo shoot day if dealing with the biggest clients in your area. if you want to move up into that area, simply doing it will likely start getting those contacts. It will cost you though.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 10-13-2016 at 06:09 AM.

I'm considering doing this myself. I'm going to get a few DJs together so we can split the cost.
    My mission is to boldly go where no DJ has gone before

Get there 15 minutes earlier...

setup then get yoru phone and take a pic or 2
    once cocktails or dinner is on you're almost certainly playing a playlist...go take a few pics.

There are many times you have to be away from your console - lining up the wedding party for sure - walking around the room to judge the sound, etc. You can easily get video while doing the walk around.

If you have a good relationship with a venue (you should..it's good for business) you can ask to come in on a tuesday afternoon and setup and do the pictures- for free most likely. The room is there and unoccupied, staff is there...

Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post

once cocktails or dinner is on you're almost certainly playing a playlist...go take a few pics.

There are many times you have to be away from your console - lining up the wedding party for sure - walking around the room to judge the sound, etc. You can easily get video while doing the walk around.

If you have a good relationship with a venue (you should..it's good for business) you can ask to come in on a tuesday afternoon and setup and do the pictures- for free most likely. The room is there and unoccupied, staff is there...
    I agree with prof_fate. Start your setup 15-30 min earlier so you have time to take some shots before all of the guests arrive. IMO, I wouldn't use a phone to take pictures if you are going to post them on your website homepage or any brochures. I can tell instantly if they are off of someones phone versus someone with a DSLR camera. I would limit to using my phone to take pictures if I get the chance to take a quick pic of everyone doing the "Wobble" and my setup in the background.
    www.ArenaTech.co

Quote Originally Posted by KayPlaya View Post
    Any of you guys go through any great lenghts to get professional shots of your equipment setups? I feel like its one of the more important things to have but am struggling with being able to get them done. I'm a single op so I usually have just enough time to setup for my gigs before the event starts. Because of that I never have the opportunity to get good pics/video of my setups.

I'm thinking about renting a banquet room for a day and having a photogropher come out and get shots of all my setups to have for clients to see. What have you guys done to get the best equipment setup shots?
    Setups???? Do your clients really care about your "setups"? I've never had one client say; "I selected you because I like your setup".😄

I too wanted to get good shots of my setups until I realized most clients will only see the outwardly facing side of your booth, and even those who walk by and look at your gear are not really sure what you've got or if it's any good. The more led's you have, the more impressed they are.😄

IMHO, all you really need is one good shot of one setup that shows how neat and clean your setup is, and that it doesn't look like a junkyard, and that will be sufficient for a typical client.😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's what he means. Setup meaning the way his full show looks as if he were a guest. Hat is very important to clients.

My main goal isn't to just pictures of my gear but also pictures of me using the gear. I always get pictures of my gear after I set up but it's not very impressive looking at unattended gear. I feel like my marketing needs more pictures of me behind the decks and or doing introductions. I definitely don't want to use my cellphone for those pictures and I don't want to deal with that when I am busy setting up and going over last minute details. Plus there's usually other vendors in the way getting their own stuff set up.

I think it would be easier to just rent a small event space for a couple of hours and get some professional pictures of me in action. One of my DJ buddies has a wife that does photography so I know he would be down for it and the rental of the event space would be less than $100.00. If I get three DJs involved the cost would be much less.
    My mission is to boldly go where no DJ has gone before

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Setups???? Do your clients really care about your "setups"? I've never had one client say; "I selected you because I like your setup".��

I too wanted to get good shots of my setups until I realized most clients will only see the outwardly facing side of your booth, and even those who walk by and look at your gear are not really sure what you've got or if it's any good. The more led's you have, the more impressed they are.��

IMHO, all you really need is one good shot of one setup that shows how neat and clean your setup is, and that it doesn't look like a junkyard, and that will be sufficient for a typical client.��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well thats what I'm talking about. My SETUP meaning how my gear is setup and how it looks to the client. And I don't know about your clients, but if someone is booking me for a $1000 gig, I'm quite sure they'd want to have an idea of how my setup would look at their event. Besides, having quality pictures can be the difference of my doing a $400 gig and me being able to visually upsell to an $800 package

Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post

I realize this is an option and this is what I have done so far (arriving early/giving myself enough time to take pictures) however I think it would be a lot more effective if my package pictures were uniform. By that meaning all my pictures are taken in the same venue, in front of the same accent wall so clients can see above anything else, what the differences are in my setups. When I check out a DJs website that has maybe 4 different package options that all look uniform (appearance wide) it looks more professional to me. Personal preference though and I realize that. As far as gaining access to a hall on an off day, its a lot more difficult because I'm in Vegas. Most of the banquet centers are in the hotels and there is no "off days". During the week its convention space, during the weekends its Wedding receptions etc

Quote Originally Posted by logisticalstyles View Post
    My main goal isn't to just pictures of my gear but also pictures of me using the gear. I always get pictures of my gear after I set up but it's not very impressive looking at unattended gear. I feel like my marketing needs more pictures of me behind the decks and or doing introductions. I definitely don't want to use my cellphone for those pictures and I don't want to deal with that when I am busy setting up and going over last minute details. Plus there's usually other vendors in the way getting their own stuff set up.

I think it would be easier to just rent a small event space for a couple of hours and get some professional pictures of me in action. One of my DJ buddies has a wife that does photography so I know he would be down for it and the rental of the event space would be less than $100.00. If I get three DJs involved the cost would be much less.

You and I are thinking alike on this. I feel the same.