Thread: 8 inch PA Speaker advise needed

Hybrid View

8 inch PA Speaker advise needed

Hi guys! I'am not very familiar with PA speaker brands, therefore need your advise to make a decision which set of 8 inch speakers should I get for home djing/listening/a booth monitor at the small parties.I ve got a pair of Yamahas Msp7(6,5 woofer), which I'am using for Djing/Mastering etc.The reason why I want to replace them:1)They are not powerful enough for my room and for my taste(in terms of djing) 2)Listening/Djing on them is really tiring.Don't get me wrong, they are a decent pair of studio monitors for studio applications(very detailed,crisp , punchy lows with a good attack) but it's ear irritating listening to them for a long time because of the special character of the sound on mids and highs. I need something different, hi-fi sounding , 8inch, with tight,crisp lows.A sub is not an option,don't want to upset my neighbors I've done some research and choosing between EV ZXA1 and QSC K8(or you can offer smth different). The K8 is much more expensive than ZXA1, but is the audio quality significantly better than on ZXA? Is it really worth it getting a QSC or ZXA will be more than enough for my needs?

The Zxa1 has a HiFi quality about them, pair them with the ZXa1 sub & you have something not only good for home use but also good for smaller functions & weddings (just adjust the sub accordingly when home).
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    The Zxa1 has a HiFi quality about them, pair them with the ZXa1 sub & you have something not only good for home use but also good for smaller functions & weddings (just adjust the sub accordingly when home).
    Thanks for your reply,Incognito.Of course, having a sub would be ideal, but I can't afford it at the moment.All I need is a pair of quality speakers which will be used purely for Djing/listening at home.Maybe as a booth monitor in the future. My budget is around 1000 bucks and to be honest ZXA 's price (relatively to K8 and DXR8) makes me suspicious about it's quality. I've learnt a good lesson buying a cheap stuff..cheap man pays twice. Anyway, I guess the best scenario for me is testing all of them in the store, which is hard to find here in the UK

ev zxa1 is not cheap, it is good brand one of the best. I was looking at it for my secondary back of the hall setup. i was also looking at qsc k8(& yamaha dbr10 too), qsc is overpriced. Also ev zxa1 is the lightest and fits in duffel bag. i'd put my money on zxa1. yamaha dbr10 about the same weight as qsc but delicate box, $100 cheaper than ev, much cheaper than qsc i think Since you said booth monitor possibly, dbr10 possibly.

ZXA1's all the way.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

I have the ZXA1's as well and like them a lot.. they are my DJ monitors for gigs, and I use them for an occasional house party. Fidelity is well above average for a PA speaker, yet go loud enough to be used as DJ monitors at events.. and tough enough to survive the experience. If you're going to take them out a lot, I'd suggest the EV soft carry bags for them. Two of them can be carried on one shoulder with those bags.

(PS: But I agree with incognito's suggestion of the ZXA1-SUB. I think you will want a little more bass on these at home. It's not a large/deep sub, just adds some bottom).

Thanks to everyone for your advice ,have got a pair of Zxa monitors.Didn't expect them to be so loud with a decent sound quality. More than enough for my tiny place) A sub definitely no needed)

Cool awesome, love it when a plan comes together

8 inch PA Speaker advise needed

I experienced a pair of zxa 8” zxa1 subs in 2019 at a live improv edm/instrumental dance event in a concert hall. 150 dancing in the room, granted accoustics were brilliant, but I was blown away by the sound quality, range and volume out of these little things at such a good price point. In 2020 I think these are still one of the best options for someone looking for a light rig to move around.

These or the EVOLVE 50s.
    Last edited by onetaste; 03-06-2020 at 05:40 PM.