Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner help with phrase mixing

Beginner help with phrase mixing

Any techniques/excersises i could do to practise getting better at mixing phrases or any tips would be appreciated

Cheers

http://www.djingtips.com/skills/track-structure

There is some very helpful info for a beginner. Takes more time listening than others to get depending on your musical background, but it's all in multiples of 4 for the majority of dance music

Basically time your cues in an effective way. You don't want to drop a track that's in the middle of a powerful build up on another track that's just getting into the first verse or is in its intro. I would stick to 8-16 beat phrases initially to get the feel down.
    https://soundcloud.com/zsquared-doe/my-name-is-zsquared-official-edm-mix

Also listen for a hi-hat or other distinctive noise of the 4th beat of a bar - that normally suggests a good cue point

In soulful house/nu disco usually around 1min 30 sec or 1 min left of the track playing (it can be 1min 15 secs or 45 secs)

Just train your ears (i.e. listen with your eyes closed)

I learned simply by feeling the track. If you've ever spent a considerable amount of time on the dance floor, you should be able to tell when a record is going to do something instead of counting. In my opinion, counting takes the soul out of a mix. It will take some time to get used to it, but once you have it down, you can cut records, mix in a little bit of the intro as a teaser, lots of stuff. I guess counting bars is ok just starting out, but if you have been djing for awhile and still count bars, you limit your creativity as a DJ. I know we just play records, but you can mold them in interesting ways and not have to worry about recounting and such.

Study your tracks. Listen for the patterns in the song, you'll hear audible cue teling you that something about to change up in about 4 to 8 bars.

Also, after some practice you'll eventually be able to count out 4 bar loops without even trying and you'll know when best to start a mix.

For me the most important thing is preparation before gig. If You know that You'll be playing for 5-6 hours - You need to have about +1 hour of music more than Your scheduled playing time. For preparation thing also I always choose tracks by scales - I always try to play all music scales to vary my mixes a little. Last part of preparation is to set "cues" and "loops". In such prepared "Crate" I always copy it to two USB sticks. If I have time before the gig I always try to listen my chosen tracks to have better vision of my mix.

Best Regards,

Tomek

Quote Originally Posted by precious993 View Post
    Any techniques/excersises i could do to practise getting better at mixing phrases or any tips would be appreciated

Cheers
    Listen to the bass. Learn a little bit about music theory. Once you can feel the tonic everything else is a piece of cake.

hey man have a watch of this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObKCWmBsgMs

check out some of his other tutorials too, I am still fairly new to the scene and am picking up the skill of phrase matching, thanks to this guy. (I would recommend tutorials from number one through to number three)

before you watch any of these give this a watch too, good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFcml2J5ElE

Quote Originally Posted by basilbrook View Post
    Also listen for a hi-hat or other distinctive noise of the 4th beat of a bar - that normally suggests a good cue point

In soulful house/nu disco usually around 1min 30 sec or 1 min left of the track playing (it can be 1min 15 secs or 45 secs)

Just train your ears (i.e. listen with your eyes closed)

Good advice