Thread: transitions/phrasing tips for newby

Hybrid View

transitions/phrasing tips for newby

joined the forum today and hoping i can get some help, been practising (new to dj'ing) a few weeks on and off when i can around work etc. i feel i have my beatmatching pretty well its just transitions and phrasing i seem to be having a hard time with and wondering which times to be bringing in the next tracks (for a starting point to get me practising) as sometime i feel a transition goes well then the next few not so well and i wonder if the good one was just luck or not, also some EQ tips would be nice to see if im doin them correctly.

any tips on transitions/phrasing/EQS etc would be appreciated

cheers

I'm assuming you're mixing EDM.. Here's a quick visual representation to give you the basic idea. In theory, when your beatmatching, phrasing and track selection is on point you can get away with not using EQ (or even volume controls) at all.

Once you have beat matching down, the two most important aspects of learning are practicing (frequency and duration) and experimentation.

I also recommend recording your practice sessions and listening to them. You'll notice different things over time.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

HPF and LPF are your best friends with smooth transitions. Don't over use them by turning the knobs all the way up or down, but use them enough to where your tracks can enter and exit smoothly. Also utilize mids and lows. If you want to beatmatch transition, the track that's entering shouldn't overpower the current track. You should drop the low on the entering track if it's bass heavy and gradually raise it as you gradually turn down the current track playing.
    https://soundcloud.com/zsquared-doe/my-name-is-zsquared-official-edm-mix

I find just knowing your tracks and what ones will work together help the most. I know what 'hero' tracks ill have for a set and then set the previous and next songs accordingly for smooth transitions in and out. Just record all our practices and youll very quickly hear what your doing right and wrong. I find my biggest mistake is trying to mix in two vocals....most of the time wont work

Quote Originally Posted by vatik View Post
    I find just knowing your tracks and what ones will work together help the most. I know what 'hero' tracks ill have for a set and then set the previous and next songs accordingly for smooth transitions in and out. Just record all our practices and youll very quickly hear what your doing right and wrong. I find my biggest mistake is trying to mix in two vocals....most of the time wont work
    Yeah knowing track is key

Start purposefully counting beats bars and phrases to the point where you don't really have to think about it and can just "feel" it

Practice practice practice. You will find some songs work great and some won't even if they are the same key or bmp