Thread: Transition Help

Transition Help

I am fairly new to DJing. I have been actively practicing for about 6 months now. I like to mix trap and dubstep mostly.

Normally I dj by setting cue points at the first beat, 8 bars before the drop (if I want to double drop a different song), and 16 bars before the end of the drop (or chorus). If I am, say, letting track A play and I want to transition track B in smoothly, I will cue up track B and mix it in using volume and EQ so that the first beat comes in when the drop (or chorus) ends on track A.

I've tried to find some common "rule of thumb" techniques for transitioning but am having trouble doing so (and I know that people are gonna say there's no exact method for transitioning, I just want some outsider opinions). I am curious to see if that is a common method of transitioning songs, and if not, what method do you like to use when transitioning?

There are couple of things to try and do but nothing is ever set in stone.
    New track drop after 4 bars will often result in good things.
    But also dropping new track at the start of the phase will work well.
    Depends on the track and length of intro.
    Try not to ever have both bass at full it will sound like shit or muddy. That's is pretty much a no no across the board, but can be done if you drop the volume of one, and also if they don't clash.

Only practice will get more understanding of these things but most things depend on the tracks your using.

I went through this when I first started mixing. you get in your head that if you can find a formula it will help you progress but as soon as you do you'll get a track what doesn't work that way.

I'm also primarily a bass music dj. What I do is I utilize a lot of HPF and LPF with transitions. I like to raise the highs for acapellas or softer tracks when they enter and lower the mids/lows for bass heavy tracks when I am entering a new track for beatmatching. Check out my latest bass music mix in my signature for a lot of what I'm talking about. You can hear the way I send out the mids and lows for new tracks or use LPF for entering a new song. Double drops should never have both tracks at full bass. Cutting drops can though. Also If I'm doing a lot fo drop swaps I usually beat match build ups unless the build up for one song is too muddy. If that's the case, I drop a cue on the actual drop or just before it.
    https://soundcloud.com/zsquared-doe/my-name-is-zsquared-official-edm-mix

Im in the same boat mixing trap and dub, fairly new at dj'ing aswell. Some things i find very useful:
    1) Some trap songs i will strart mixing the new track 8bars before old drop finishes, and have the new one cued so the build gets heavy 8 bars after the old drop has finished (this is where i cut the old track)
    2) If i have a "hero track", ill always insert a track before that sets up a really smooth transition. So ill select the previous song based on my hero track and what works with that. Usually similar tempo, always mixed in key and with a easy breakdown to mix into.
    3)Always know you're tracks back to front, that way you know whats coming and when and can cater to that if something doesnt go as planned with timing etc.
    4) Most importantly, record every practice mix and listen in your spare time, or send to friends with good ears. Youll developing a structured way of transitioning between any song which will go a long way